Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I control registry entries?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

Two days ago, something hit my PC. See "Problem with audio" for details.

It came down to the fact that a registry entry was made. It changed the settings on my Realtek audio. It set the Realtek audio to "padded cell," which made all my sound terrible.

After fixing that, I got rid of the registry entry and thought all was well.

Today, I couldn't start my Mailwasher program. I don't use a mailbox. Maliwasher lets me manage mail without downloading it, and I love the program.

I ran a check of my registry and found at least 4 new entries. After getting rid of them, I could launch Mailwasher again.

Something, it seems, is able to keep slapping my PC through registry entries.

Question: Is there an app I can use where any new registry entry has to pass only with my permission?  I don't think I'd need it long. (I hope).

I've always wondered why registry entries aren't able to be policed by the user, when they try to enter without my knowledge. The registry is the heart of an OS, yet entries can be made by other people without my knowledge. I'd call that a major vulnerability.

How can I get control of that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

I'm not aware of a way control registry entries

--- I know what you mean about editing registry editing and the associated results you mention

However I create a monthly system image backup on/about the weekend before Patch Tuesday or installing a new program

--- I've had to revert back to a system image restoration only twice over the years but each time it was an easy process

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I, too, have considered System Restore, but the harm that could do, and the things I'd have to reinstall, is appalling to me.

Isn't it even MORE appalling that almost anyone online can put registry entries on our PCs without any notification or permission?

Allowing free access to our registries is like opening our veins to terrorists. I can't believe NOBODY has tried to address this problem that seems to exist in all Windows OSs. Why? Isn't that the very height of STUPID?

I'd welcome any other ideas.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

Please note that I mentioned system image backups

As you noted about System Restore, yes I also do that

#5 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Please don't think I was criticizing you. It's just that both your method and mine are puny compared to the harm people can do to our registries, and nobody seems able to do anything serious about it.

If there are no apps to come between our PCs and the registry values almost anyone can put on them, maybe somebody ought to develop one?

Please?

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

Who/what are you speaking about when you say "people"? -- as in "people are changing my registry".

Hastily reading this thread left me with the initial impression that you believe that anyone and everyone is hacking your registry.

Your original post mentioned a registry change that occurred to your Realtek audio. The only time something like that should/could happen is if you install updated Realtek drivers. Nothing else should have the capability to change your Realtek Control Panel (except the user, of course). 

Perhaps you are infected...?

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

Concur.

If removing registry entries resolves a problem and the registry files relate to possible malware...originating a topic in the Am I Infected forum would seem to be the thing to do.  Malware entries in the registry are a common facet of Life With Malware Today.

Does Malware Create Modify Your Registry?

As for normal, authorized registry entries...they occur all the time.  Every time you install a new program, something is written to the registry.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-registry-and-files-changes-when-installing-software-in-windows/

Louis

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

I'm not aware of a way control registry entries

--- I know what you mean about editing registry editing and the associated results you mention

However I create a monthly system image backup on/about the weekend before Patch Tuesday or installing a new program

--- I've had to revert back to a system image restoration only twice over the years but each time it was an easy process

That is THE solution.  I have automatic full system backups made to an external hard drive every 1st of the month.  Because I have financial data on my main desktop, I also make incremental backups every 4 hours.  That's extreme for most folks, but monthly or weekly backups is certainly the prudent thing for EVERYONE who doesn't want to lose their system unpredictably.  If you don't do that, you only have yourself to blame.  You can buy 1 TB external drives for $55 and there are many free backup/restore programs out there.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free, which is free for home use.  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users