Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Kind Of Processor Should I Get?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mightyflail

mightyflail

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hello again!

Well, my journey of upgrading my computer has begun! I am finally upgrading to a PCI-e motherboard so I can buy a new graphics card, but it seems like if i do that, I need a new processor to go along with it (my current one is an old socket A Athlon) I'm somewhat educated on the types of processors are out there, but I would still like some advise.

So, this is the graphics card I'm looking at if it helps to know: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130035

Also, I haven't purchased the motherboard yet, so with your suggestions of processors could you also help me find a a decent MB that's inexpensive?? Oh, I'd it would be nice if the processor didn't exceed $200. (and the cheaper the better :thumbsup: ) Thanks!! Your posts are appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

Personally since its an InVidea card I would suggerst an Intel processor w/ an ASUS mobo.
Because:
1) AMD is buying/just bought ATi so who knows if their NVidea support will continue (from the rumors I here Intel has already dropped ATi Crossfire support

2) I Like ASUS mobos they seem very stable

Posted Image

#3 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

Well, AMD is dropping prices like mad... You can get a 939 AMD xp 64 3500+ for under 100 USD shipped, and a 3800+ for just a bit over 100 shipped.

Those are good options.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

You might want to look around for a new Core 2 Socket motherboard. They shouldn't be to pricey, and the new Core 2 processors are quite cheap. You can get one for around 360$ and it'll blow down a 1,200$ FX-62 in almost any application and game. But also AMD has droped their prices of their older 939 ( not sure about the AM2 sockets,but I think so ) So you should be able to get a nice Dual core AMD processor for a good price.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've used Asus mobo's and P4's exclusively since my bad experience with a Tyan mobo, Via chipset and an AMD Thunderbird processor.

But, the times they are a changing - so I'm about to embark on building my first PC with an AMD in a long while (it's an office system - so I don't need high-performance). I believe that AMD has done a lot to remedy the problems from several years back and they're now on an even keel with Intel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

At the $200 price-point and lower I would say AMD has better value. If you go up to $250 or higher Core 2 is the only choice. You can find the Athlon X2 4200+ going for a little under $200 and I think I've seen the Athlon 64 4000+ going for $200 as well. There is also the issue of Core 2 motherboards. They're very expensive. Most go for over $200, although you can find some as low as $150, which isn't directly cheap.

1) AMD is buying/just bought ATi so who knows if their NVidea support will continue (from the rumors I here Intel has already dropped ATi Crossfire support

2) I Like ASUS mobos they seem very stable

nVidia support isn't going anywhere. Even if it will disappear it won't happen for a few years. I also like ASUS motherboards.

Well, AMD is dropping prices like mad... You can get a 939 AMD xp 64 3500+ for under 100 USD shipped, and a 3800+ for just a bit over 100 shipped.

Since AM2 prices dropped as well I would recommend going for a AM2 motherboard and CPU instead. It will give you more more upgrade possibilities in the future.

AMD Thunderbird processor.

Uhh... Don't say that name. You bring up a lot of awful memories.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

AMD is better. Period. Oh yeah.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

I would go with AMD. When it comes to gaming, the Core 2 Duo doesn't outperform AMD's FX line very much. So AMD is the better value for now.

3939.png

#9 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:58 PM

I would go with AMD. When it comes to gaming, the Core 2 Duo doesn't outperform AMD's FX line very much. So AMD is the better value for now.

I'm sorry, but a Intel chip retailed at around 316$ beat the FX-62 by a good margin in almost everything!

Edited by protozero, 03 August 2006 - 12:01 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#10 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

what were they variables in that benchmark test? All of the ones I've looked at have pointed to AMD, especially with multitasking.

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

what were they variables in that benchmark test? All of the ones I've looked at have pointed to AMD, especially with multitasking.

Are you sure you're not mixing Core 2 Duo/Extreme and Pentium 4/D/EE. Different variations of the Pentium 4's Netburts architecture has been Intel's main processor for the last 5 years. But last month Intel released a completely new architecture which changed everyting. So any benchmarks pre-dating July 14th 2006 are obsolete. For the new situation you can look at the this Core 2 review, aptly named The Empire Strikes Back, for example. Nowadays, from a strict performance point of view, Intel is better. Period.

A few highlights:

As you will soon see, Intel's new Core 2 lineup has basically made all previous Intel processors worthless. The performance of the new Core 2 CPUs is so much greater, with much lower power consumption, that owners of NetBurst based processors may want to dust off the old drill bits and make some neat looking keychains.

The 2.4GHz E6600 turned out to be quite an overclocker in our tests. Even though it was hard-locked at a 9 multiplier it reached an amazing 4GHz in the overclocking tests. That represents a 67% overclock.

Final Words

Intel's Core 2 Extreme X6800 didn't lose a single benchmark in our comparison; not a single one. In many cases, the $183 Core 2 Duo E6300 actually outperformed Intel's previous champ: the Pentium Extreme Edition 965. In one day, Intel has made its entire Pentium D lineup of processors obsolete. Intel's Core 2 processors offer the sort of next-generation micro-architecture performance leap that we honestly haven't seen from Intel since the introduction of the P6.

Compared to AMD's Athlon 64 X2 the situation gets a lot more competitive, but AMD still doesn't stand a chance. The Core 2 Extreme X6800, Core 2 Duo E6700 and E6600 were pretty consistently in the top 3 or 4 spots in each benchmark, with the E6600 offering better performance than AMD's FX-62 flagship in the vast majority of benchmarks. Another way of looking at it is that Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 is effectively a $316 FX-62, which doesn't sound bad at all.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

Im going to get an Intel Core 2 Duo

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

I'm a firm believer in not believing benchmarks so much as actually putting the processors through real-life testing. In certain apps, the Duo does outperform the FX but in gaming it's pretty even with the Duo for now check out this article: [H] Intel Core 2 Gaming Performance The Intel Dual Core does offer performance a performance boost, but it's not enough to amount to anything.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 August 2006 - 04:20 PM.

3939.png

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Not as long as the game is GPU limited, no. But I don't think the fact that a $1000 CPU will be GPU limited across the board unless you got a multi-GPU solution is any news. I could have told you that without the article. The fact that the top end CPUs aren't worth their price is even less a revelation.

For an article that throws around "real-world" all the time it isn't very real-world. I don't think the X6800 nor FX-62 nor even the E6700 can be considered very real world processors. They're too expensive. It's the E6300, E6400 and E6600 which are the real contenders.

That sites problem is that they only have a E6700 and X6800. So when other sites get down to business and discuss the processors which people are interested in and might actually buy, they have to settle for old news in a new coat of sensationalism.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

I agree, most top-of-the-line CPU's generally aren't worth their price unless the buyer wants to have the latest and greatest. The value simply isn't there when comparing speed vs. cost.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users