Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fourputt

fourputt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

I purchased a new laptop with Win 10...I have an existing home network with a desktop XP and another laptop with Win 10 upgraded from win7...all share a Canon MG6120 printer...the printer works OK with the older laptop and the desktop...I got the printer on to the new computer OK but it will not connect to the printer over the Network... I have spent hours on it updating drivers etc..I get "Printer is in Error state" when I try a test page from the new computer...latest information I can come up with is that Canon don't have a printer driver for Win 10... HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

Says Win 10 in the driver list

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg-series/pixma-mg6120

If you go to printer properties and look at Ports what port is it using?

#3 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

I have removed the printer from my win 10 as I'm up to the 15th copy..but when setting it up for the network...the port was LP1 if my memory serves me right

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

lpt1 is a local printer port as if directly attached to your pc. 

Port needs to be a network port like \\ipaddress or \\printername_share

Look at one of the working machines and see what port is being used.

Write that down and configure a port like it and associate the printer with that port and it should work

#5 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Wand3r3...I went to my old laptop with win 10 upgrade from Win7...printer works OK on wireless network...I went to it on control panel devices and printers..clicked properties ..could not see any port mentioned..I then went to device manager and again went to properties but could not see any port mentioned

#6 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

update...got the port from my  older wireless laptop which works fine with the printer..I got it from Print Server Properties..It show port LP1...I now have my router IP which the printer is plugged into so I'm going to give that a go..thanks again for your help..will let you know how it goes

#7 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:46 PM

Nope no luck...I got some info..I printed network configuration from my Printer......

TCP/IP version IPv4    Default gateway( which I think is the router which the printer is plugged into) 192.168.1.254

When I said the port was LP1 I erred it was LPT1...The printer is on my new laptop ..it shows default printer checked ...but in settings> devices and printers   it shows up there also but has error beside it.I ran the printer troubleshooter..it ran for awhile then quit saying "an unexpected error occurred troubleshooting wizard cannot continue.

looking thru the ports an comparing them to the ports used on my other computers both have  USB002 so I added that port to the list and tried that..no luck  so I am back at the original port

Now I'm stumped

Edited by fourputt, 13 March 2016 - 12:00 AM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:12 AM

"connect to the printer over the Network"

what is the ip address of the printer? It is not the gateway address/ address of the router.

"USB002"

that is a local not network port.  usb port 2

Almost sounds like you have been connecting the printer to each device you want to print from and not printing to a network attached printer.

#9 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

I am now back to the beginning with the printer on my win 10 new laptop and all looks OK but still not printing..it seems to be connecting to the printer as I keep getting   "Printer in error state"....I have been searching on the net about this problem and many people have it...and the answer seems to be that some printer manufacturers like Canon, Lexmark etc. have printers that are not compatible with Win 10 as they don.t have a driver to accommodate it... My older laptop which used to be Win 7 and was connecter to the printer over the network and worked OK  and it now upgraded to Win 10 and still works so I guess the older settings still is OK

So I would like to thank you guys for all the help

#10 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

Got this from my printers website

If you are using one of the Canon products listed below, we want to make you aware of some important information.

Microsoft® has announced it is launching Windows® 10, a new version of its operating system, on July 29, 2015.

If you are considering upgrading your operating system, please be aware that the products below are not supported with Windows 10. Although Canon will not issue drivers for these products to support the Windows 10 operating system, the Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should function in the new Windows 10 environment with some limitations which are currently unknown to Canon. If you chose not to upgrade to Windows 10, the Canon products listed below will continue to work with your current operating system.

There are numerous options available if you chose to upgrade your Canon product to a Windows 10 compatible model. For assistance, please contact us at 1-877-359-6780 from 8:00 a.m. until midnight EST to speak with a Canon Loyalty Program representative.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

link I provided in post #2 disagrees about windows 10.

"MG6100 series MP Driver Ver. 1.05 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/XP x64) 07/22/15 18.66 MB"

If you connect directly to the printer via usb and set the driver to use usb do you get errors or do you print?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 March 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#12 fourputt

fourputt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hi Wand3r3  thank you for your patience ..I solved it...It was a bad case of user ID-10-T....I did not have the printer wireless LAN set up properly...I have been put off by my older laptop which printed OK ..how it worked ??who knows ..but after I set up the printer for wireless ..BINGO

When I went to the Canon website that you indicated all went well till the end ..then it said ''Cannot find printer" so out came my Sherlock Holmes cap

I had given up... but thanks to you I finally got it

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

Good job.  Glad to hear it.

#14 XYLUS786

XYLUS786

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

If you need any help related network printer then just visit to this website...

HOW TO ADD A NETWORK PRINTER

http://www.zeronetwork.co.in/2015/10/network-printer.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users