Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Going On With My Apps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Greetings Re: Windows 10 O/S

Recently, I cleaned out my desktop including all of the apps that I had and cookies, etc.  I decided to be more selective in the apps I put on my desktop only to find that as I pinned an app in was in the form of the drab blue box with an "e" in the center. The  apps that I deleted were composed of the colors of the website and sometimes a logo and when they were all in place, it was a colorful array. I didn't want a bunch of apps with all the same color and that dull "e" and the name of the website underneath. Anyhow, I rediscovered how to pin a website with the name and logo of the website, so it looked like I was headed back in the right direction. Then, the very next day, I turned my computer on to be greeted with an upgrade that took 2 hrs to complete and when it was done, all of my new apps were now int he form of the Google logo which I refer to as the Google ball. If I go to a website using Google, I end up with the Google thing and if I use MSN, its the blue box with the "e". Can anyone tell me how I can get back to getting apps that represent the website rather than just Google & MSN? I don't want to be looking at a page full of "Google Balls". 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

Well, it's been a couple of days and no response, so I'll chime in here.
FYI - I do not use apps, so my suggestions may not work for you.

For starters, see if you can use System Restore to go back to a point before this happened (so you can start over).

If that doesn't help, then try this set of commands:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

If that doesn't help, then try a RESET using the Keep My Files option.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

If you right-click an icon on the desktop and click Properties, you'll see a change icon button there.  If you click that, you can use anything that's on your hard drive.

Good luck.

P.S. I don't use apps either, but I do have a lot of icons on my desktop.  I put the Groove Music icon on my desktop to test.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

The Dism thing doesn't apply to the problem and I did try system restore and it didn't work and I am not trying to change the image on the icons but the apps. I'll try to explain: If  I right click an app, there is no option to change it merely to unpin or pin, etc. Anyhow the problem is; Before I cleaned all of the apps of the desktop, I had an array of apps that represented different websites and they all had their own design, logo, etc. so it became easy for me to get acquainted with each of the apps. i.e. my bank's app had their logo on it besides a typed identity so when I want to access a website I would look at the apps and easily pick out the website I wanted to access because I was familiar with the design of the website's app. Now, since that upgrade, every one of the apps  is identified by printing within the logo of Google. So, when I look at my desktop, I see a bunch of Google logos, so by now, when I look up at the desktop I see 15 Google logos each one representing a website, it looks like hell.

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

If you want to know what it looks like, just arrange a square 8 Google logos wide by 8 Google  logos down and you got a page full of Google logos representing 64 websites that you can hardly read what they are because you can hardly penetrate the Google colors to read them

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:17 PM

Problem solved. I went back to Windows 8.1 with prejudice to Microsoft for dictating what my apps should look like by encasing them in the Google Ball. thanks for your help,.

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

You skipped a step.  Right-click the icon and click Properties.  Then you can change to anything on your PC.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users