Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can no longer map network drive.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

New phone systems where installed a few days ago and everything got a new IP and now uses a new ethernet port. All network drive connections where cut. I managed to restore the network drive to all the Windows 10 machines that do not use profiles.

The windows XP machines use roaming profiles and none of them are able to connect to the shared network drive. Trying to restore it gives "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password" if I use administrator name and password.

Otherwise using normal log on information instead gives "network path could not be found".

I tried ipconfig /release then /renew.

I removed the the network drives with net use K: /del and then tried to remap them.

Did not work.

I am having a problem installing the network printer on the server as well. It simply will not install it despite seeing it and being able to give the print test page command which it will not complete. It gives the error that printer can not be installed. I used a different method to install it by using the TCP/IP address and it worked except it has to be as a copy of the printer. I can see this installed printer in the printers and devices folder but I can not see the non copy version. The non copy version is there because it blocks me from naming the copy version as the original yet I can not select the original.

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2016 - 03:23 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Managed to get the network printer to work by installing it again on all computers and adding it as a new printer device. The old network printer exists as some kind of hidden device entity and can not be selected despite being uninstalled so I had to name the network printer as something else since the same name could not be used. This might be because the port that used to connect to it still exists.

Still can not get the color laser printer to work which is connected to an XP machine.

It used to be connected to all other computers by sharing it with a \\computername.domainname\nameofprinter path. Other computers can not connect to it or even see the computer despite being able to ping it.

#3 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

You are using "Workgroup" or "Homegroup"

If you having older machine running on Win XP, you should set all machine (within the network) to run on older "Workgroup" networking.

Edited by WebWalker67, 14 March 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#4 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Older machines should already be on a workgroup. I can understand newer machines not doing this but even the older machines in a workgroup can not connect to printer. However the other older machine on XP has been having some serious issues so it might be some other problem as it has been unable to connect to anything despite all other machines being able to connect to the server at this point and map the network drive to them.

Might try just making the server connect to the printer through the xp machine and then have every other machine just use the printer through the server instead of having every other machine connect to the xp machine.

#5 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Will setting the machines that are on a domain into a workgroup break anything? I do not see why they can not remain on the domain since it worked before. Workgroup computers could communicate with the domain PC without a problem before. I mean I was the one who made those XP machines on a domain connect to the workgroup Windows 10 machines without a problem the first time. Doing the same thing simply no longer works.

#6 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

All machines join the domain or just few (not all)?

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

"New phone systems where installed a few days ago and everything got a new IP"

Gee that's a pretty big mess up by someone!

First thing that happens is your DNS server can't work because it has the old ip not the new one

Your dhcp server on the DC can't work since it would be handing out the old ips.

The static ip assigned to the server is wrong being in the old subnet as well as any switches, network equipment.

Assign the correct subnet static ip to the server

Update the dns server by removing any static entries of the old subnet and changing them to the new subnet

Update AD sites and services with the correct subnet by adding the new one and deleting the old one.

Update the AD dhcp server by creating a new scope [I assume you have a documented ip plan] and deleting the old one.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 15 March 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#8 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

All machines join the domain or just few (not all)?

Just a few machines are on the domain. The XP machines. Not sure about any other devices.

"New phone systems where installed a few days ago and everything got a new IP"

Gee that's a pretty big mess up by someone!

First thing that happens is your DNS server can't work because it has the old ip not the new one

Your dhcp server on the DC can't work since it would be handing out the old ips.

The static ip assigned to the server is wrong being in the old subnet as well as any switches, network equipment.

Assign the correct subnet static ip to the server

Update the dns server by removing any static entries of the old subnet and changing them to the new subnet

Update AD sites and services with the correct subnet by adding the new one and deleting the old one.

Update the AD dhcp server by creating a new scope [I assume you have a documented ip plan] and deleting the old one.

I see. So is it ok to have different IP ranges in effect on separate interface controllers? What about default gateways? One is set with the 10.1.10.something the other uses the 192.168.something. Do not remember if they had the same subnet mask or not. Will have to check once I get back.

This seems like a lot to do. Is there a guide for something like this? It is a windows 2012 server. I am afraid I might miss something and if I do this it will almost certainly break anything that is working with the old static IP or using the old interface controller. This also means all of the old equipment will have to have stuff updated. Just the all-in one printer/scanner/fax/copier would have to have multiple entries changed as it uses multiple IP addresses such as when the scanner is used to send scans to different computers and the printer itself on the same machine uses a different IP.

Also I noticed that I can see the Windows 10 machines when looking through the XP machines. Meaning I can access them if I provide a user name and password but not the other way around. How do I do that on the Windows 10 machines? Is there a way to search manually? I am not super familiar with Windows 10. I just discovered the Windows key + X command which I wish I knew earlier.

Thanks for all the help.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

You can have two different subnets on the same network.  One for phones and one for the lan.  Usually means two internet connections which is also wise for failover [no computers and no phones is bad].

You don't have to change anything if the lan is still on its own subnet.

Problem here is if you have a dhcp server on the 10x net and one on the 192x net.  If on the same lan a pc can get a ip from either.

Assuming the server has a static ip which subnet 10x or 192x is it in?

Now look at workstation that is having a issue connecting to the server.  What subnet is it in?

#10 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:56 PM

I am going off memory here. Will have to come in tomorrow to check. I believe the dhcp server is on both.

There are two workstations that are having problems. One is where it keeps losing connections randomly and it comes back again if I just unplug an replug the ethernet cable. I did a workaround on that one so it just switches to wireless when the cable goes out so there is no need to constantly unplug and replug the cable. This workstation is not on a domain and is a windows 10 machine.

All PCs in the office got new IP when the new router was plugged in. I did a whole sequence of /release /renew and restoring network drives. I only managed to restore one XP machine after also doing a reboot.

I managed to restore the scanner function to be able to send scanned images to the server however it soon also went down and can no longer communicate with the server despite having the correct IP and gateway information. I find this very strange that it simply lost function with time and no other changes made.

I have not been able to fix the last XP machine as I do not have the log on information to that one so I can not do restarts and other actions. The computer is just left on for months at a time. I do not know when it was last restarted. I tried doing things like /flushdns /registerdns to no avail. That machine has no connection to the server at all or any printer. It is the only machine that it totally cut off except for internet connection. No actions that where able to repair the other computers worked on this one.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Who put in the new router?  They are responsible for the mess.  They didn't do a proper analysis of your network.

Once again what is the subnet of the server or phone system so we know which is which?

If you have two dhcp servers you need to use your DC dhcp server to do ip reservations on every machine for the data network or they will grab ips from the other phone dhcp server.

Wasting your time with flushdns.  Not the issue

"All PCs in the office got new IP when the new router was plugged in"

What ever you are doing to "fix" these was the wrong approach.  At the core is your local DC dns server which all workstations should be pointed to for dns.

The fact you can fix anything at the workstation level is a huge concern.  That would indicate the server was never setup properly with a static ip but is using dhcp and it now has a ip from the router.

#12 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

Subnet mask listed on network interface controllers is listed as 255.255.255.0. I get the same result when I do ipconfig /all. All named machines have DHCP.

DHCP panel lists only 1 server with the 169.254.something range.

I changed the static IP of the first controller which was 192.something just now to obtain it automatically to see if it will do anything.

Edit: Rebooting the last XP machine did the trick. Had to re-add the printers again but it worked for all of them. It took an incredibly long time to log on as a user. Must have taken 8 minutes. Other xp machine takes 30 seconds or so in comparison.

Scanner is working again. I made the 10.1.10 NIC static.

Only one last main issue is not being able to connect to the printer that is connected to an XP domain machine (does the fact that it uses a domain matter?). All I had to do before was just type in \\computername\printername and that did the trick. This works on the XP machines but does not work on the windows 10 machines.

The windows 10 machine that kept losing connection has not lost connection today yet but that was intermittent so the issue might still remain.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 16 March 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

I take it then you converted everything to the 10x subnet.

"DHCP panel lists only 1 server with the 169.254.something range"

I take this to mean the servers dhcp server.  Does not appear its authorized or being used.  I have to guess the old router was supplying ip via its dhcp server in the 192x subnet

If the phone guys had done their job right their router would have been in the 192x subnet and you wouldn't have had a single issue.

#14 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

Yes I just went along with it and changed everything to the 10x subnet.

A laptop computer just lost connection to a shared folder and I was unable to reconnect to it. I got the error:

"The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password". Did the usual net use * /del and tried adding it again but did not work.

This error message makes no sense to me. The user name and password I used is the same for every other machine that I used to connect to the shared folder on the server.

The person who uses the laptop is not here today but is it possible that different credentials where used to access other shared folders on the server with the laptop and will not accept two different credentials from the same source?

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/the-network-folder-specified-is-currently-mapped/928f6313-fe2c-4d2d-a247-152ec022e062?auth=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users