Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built PC crashing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vorte

Vorte

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

I started a topic in the windows forums but was referred to this one for a second opinion. Can someone take a look?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607121/newly-built-pc-crashing/

System specifications:

CPU:  AMD FX-8320

RAM  HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz

MB:   Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Rev2

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB 1010MHz (factory OC from 970MHz)

PSU:  EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze

SSD:  SanDisk Ultra II 240GB

Edited by Vorte, 11 March 2016 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

Crashing how? First run HCI Memtest.

#3 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

I explained in the other topic. It just freezes randomly and either requires a hard reboot or reboots on its own. I ran memtest86 for 1 pass which took around 12 hours - no errors.

I've also tried stress testing with FurMark and Prime95, no overheating nor errors. 

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Random reboots are usually PSU or motherboard fault. This might be pretty strange but PSU may have problem with fluctuating loads. So while PSU can handle static high load, is has problem when load changes. In that case PSU is broken but that is hard to test. Another probable option is motherboard.

So probably PSU or motherboard is broken. As usual, changing those parts may help but that's not much advice.

#5 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Is there any way to test that without buying new parts? I can return the part that is not working. I just need to know which one.

Also the PC seems to crash more often soon after booting. It would crash a few times and then work for hours, even days before the next crash. But if it hasn't been on for a while and you turn it on, it crashes straight away.

Btw in the other forum, it was suggested that the GPU could be the issue.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Can you run HWmonitor and tell us your voltages on the different rails? That could tell us if your psu is failing.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

I have run across a few "built" units that exhibited the same behavior.  With the case open and the unit running, anytime, hot or cold, try flexing or moving the board in its mounts/standoffs.  It sounds like a temporary short is resetting the power supply.  This is often more heat related but it only takes a fraction of an inch to cause a short.  I also had one unit that was getting moved around in its mounting when a keyboard connector moved.

Edited by mjd420nova, 11 March 2016 - 11:12 PM.

#8 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

Here's a snapshot of the voltages. The PC has been running for a couple of hours, mostly web browsing, not significant load.

How safe is it to flex the motherboard while the PC is running?

Attached Files

• Attached File  hw.png   37.53KB   0 downloads

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

Don't see anything of significance  in the voltages..  Flexing the board while running shouldn't affect anything except those points where the minute changes in position would be enough to short out.  If you can get a repeatable event while moving the board, all you have to do is find the trace near the stand off that's causing the fault.  You could monitor the voltages while using the eraser tip of a pencil to push on point around the stand offs.  One other point to check is where the power supply connector plugs into the MOBO.  I have seen cold solder joints on those pin to PCB board connections, usually on the underside of the board.

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

Don't see anything significant? The 12 volt rail is at 8 volts, 5 volt rail @ 3 volts and 3.3 volt rail at 2 volts. I think your psu is bad.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

None of the voltages are anywhere near normal so had no faith in the program readout.  If those were actual system voltages??  It sure wouldn't be running.

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

Past a certain point I don't think the voltage sensors are very accurate. I think the voltages may be bad but not that bad. A multimeter would give more accurate results.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

I assumed the voltages were wrong as well.

I tried pushing around the standoffs but with no luck. The voltages stayed the same.

I also tried taking the system apart and putting it back together. When I took off the motherboard I noticed some of the pins on the back  were bent in, mostly around where the GPU sits, so I straightened them up. Also, a couple of the standoffs (the bottom ones) were a bit loose. I tightened everything as far as I could and rebuilt. The PC ran fine yesterday and all day today until it just crashed again with some static noises coming out of the speakers.

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

That last fault, with the static in the speaker, leads me to think it is the power supply.

#15 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

What happened was I was playing with the volume control on the speakers (up, down, up, down) while playing a game on the pc. Just after I stopped it froze again. The screen was on and I could see the game but could not do anything. The music from the game turned into static. I had to shut off the pc manually.

I then used the pc for a while until it froze again, no static but also no noise was coming out of the speakers at the time. I shut it off and also turned off the speakers. Switching the speakers off turned the backlight of the keyboard on for a second or two. I tried switching the speakers on and off a few times and the backlight flashed a couple of times until it stopped. Could this be related? I am completely guessing here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users