Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hanging laptop and refused perfmon /report

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JimGoodrich

JimGoodrich

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

· OS - Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
·  x64 
· Original OS -  Windows 8
· Full retail version
· Age of system (hardware) - 3 1/2 years
· Age of OS installation - 13 months  
  Have you re-installed the OS? No

· CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.50GHz
· Video Card - Intel® HD Graphics 4000
· System Manufacturer -  Samsung
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) - NP510R5E-A02UB

· Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

Additional Info: I have 2 accounts on this laptop, an Admin account and a standard user account. I sign in with the Standard Account via Microsoft login and use the Admin password when I need to access admin functions. I rarely sign in with Admin account except in situations like this.

I have recently been experiencing extreme slowness and hanging, for example:
  • mouse will track but neither right or left click will register or takes so long to register I receive and error message.
  • screen is extremely slow to change upon powerup/bootup
  • screen will go black with no error messages

I have recently deleted multiple applications. I have run Malwarebytes and ADWCleaner and they identified and cleaned 3 PUPs only. I'll provide report files if needed.

As next step, I cam to bleepingcomputer and followed BSOD reporting protocol, signed in using my Admin account. The SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip is attached, but when I went to run perform /report from the elevated Command Prompt, I received this error message:

Error:

An error occured while attempting to generate the report.

The operator or administrator has refused the request.

I apologize if I'm am simply missing something very basic here, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Jim

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.36MB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

Sorry for the delay, I'll get to this this afternoon (UTC-5; east coast of the US).

Worst case will be tomorrow AM (I'm late for work right now)

Don't worry about the Perfmon report for now - I don't often use it

Please wait for the next time the system hangs as you've described, then generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:25 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P15RAN.208.140429.ZW) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  Many Windows Update failures in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Lot's of crashing with mpcmdrun.exe - a component of Windows Defender
Windows Defender should be disabled when you're running another antivirus (only run one antivirus and one firewall at a time).

Kaspersky is running in your startups, and Avast is listed in the program groups.

Please go here and use the uninstallers for each of these products:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html

If you're having difficulties, then it may be that you're infected.

You should only have one antivirus and one firewall running at a time.

It's possible that malware has corrupted your current protection, so please try a couple of these, independent scans (from this link: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA15-286A ).  This is in case your current protection is compromised by malware and giving false results:

F-Secure
           https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner (link is external)

McAfee
           http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx (link is external)

Microsoft
           http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx (link is external)

Sophos
           https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx (link is external)

Trend Micro
           http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (link is external)

The above are examples only and do not constitute an exhaustive list. The U.S. Government does not endorse or support any particular product or vendor.
If you do find infections, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum to ensure that all the bad stuff has been removed:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JimGoodrich

JimGoodrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

First, thank you for helping.

here's what I've found out:

• There is no UEFI/BIOS update available for my laptop
  • There were 5 optional Windows updates, I am in the process of installing them 
  • Windows Defender is disabled, I run Spybot Search and Destroy, which employs Bitdefender, could that be responsible for those errors as well?
  • I've removed Avast and Kaspersky
  • I ran F-secure and Sophos and both gave mylaptop a clean bill of health

I have tried to run the event viewer report as described in your first reply. It fails with the error message "The system cannot find the file specified" and lists "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytics" under log.

I can see an incomplete report of 16,039 events, but it won't let me copy or save as above. I was able to export a file in XML format and I've attached it, but I don't know if that contains what you need in a format you can read.

Attached File  Admin.zip   1.67KB   1 downloads

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

Removing all the extra stuff should stop the errors.  In the event that it doesn't, then we'll try a couple of things to reset Defender

In most cases, when you get that error with the ScpTaskRingtone, if you click to dismiss it the report will work normally after that.

If it doesn't work for you, here's my previous canned speech about it:

Backup (export) this registry key (just in case), then delete the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic

According to this link:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/microsoft-windows-dxptaskringtoneanalytic-the/5f2dd93d-c9cc-40a8-b331-e4710e19a50d?rtAction=1410354097985
This particular logfile has been deprecated and is no longer available in Win8.1

If that doesn't let it work, then I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I can review the Application and System logfiles in the BSOD Inspector report or the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp, but it's much more difficult to see patterns there.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:42 AM

Just a bit of info here for those who come looking...

The Administrative log file is just a listing of ALL Critical, Error, and Warning events from ALL adminstrative logfiles for event viewer

These are (on my system):

Application,Security,System,ACEEventLog,Hardware Events,Internet Explorer,Key Management Service,Microsoft-Windows-All-User-Install-Agent/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-AppHost/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Application Server-Applications/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-AppModel-Runtime/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-AppReadiness/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-AssignedAccess/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-AssignedAccessBroker/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Storage-ATAPort/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-DrivePreparationTool/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Client-Licensing/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DataIntegrityScan/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DataIntegrityScan/CrashRecovery,Microsoft-Windows-Desired State Configuration/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DeviceSetupManager/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DHCP Client Events/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DhcpNap/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-DHCPv6 Client Events/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Diagnosis-Scripted/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Storage-Disk/Admin,Microsoft Windows EDP Audit Regular Provider/Microsoft Windows EDP Audit Regular Channel,Microsoft Windows EDP Audit TCB Provider/Microsoft Windows EDP Audit TCB Channel,Microsoft-Windows-EmbeddedAppLauncher/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-GenericRoaming/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Dynamic-Memory/Microsoft-Hyper-V-Guest-Drivers-Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-KeyboardFilter/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Mobile-Broadband-Experience-SmsRouter/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-MUI/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-PrintBRM/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-PushNotifications-Platform/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-RemoteApp and Desktop Connections/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-RemoteAssistance/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RemoteFX-Synth3dvsc/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-RetailDemo/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-SmartCard-TPM-VCard-Module/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-SMBWitnessClient/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-SMBWitnessClient/WitnessClientAdmin,Microsoft-Windows-Storage-Tiering/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Storage-ClassPnP/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-Storage-Storport/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-ClientUSBDevices/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-PnPDevices/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Printers/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-User Device Registration/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-VerifyHardwareSecurity/Admin,Microsoft-Windows-WindowsBackup/ActionCenter,Microsoft-Windows-Workplace Join/Admin,Microsoft-WS-Licensing/Admin,Microsoft Office Alerts,PreEmptive,Texus,Windows PowerShell

From a quick look at a copy of this (you can't edit the original), it seems that it's easier to list the logs not included:
Windows Logs:

- Setup

- Forwarded Events

Applications and Services Logs:

- Cisco

- Microsoft-SQLServerDataTools

- Microsoft-SQLServerDataToolsVS

#7 JimGoodrich

JimGoodrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Deleting the key after export did the trick,so the zipped report is attached.

An additional symptom has developed in my Admin Account. The entire time I was signed in with the Admin account, the focus kept moving away from and back to the application I was using, as if i were toggling through windows using the <alt> <tab> keyboard shortcut, even though i only had one window open at a time. This concerns me as much as anything else I've experienced to this point.

Attached File  Admin.zip   758.14KB   2 downloads

Edited by JimGoodrich, 15 March 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

Roughly every 3 seconds Windows Defender launches and then crashes on your system.

Try this:  http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-remove-windows-defender-on-windows-8-1-windows-8

#9 JimGoodrich

JimGoodrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

Windows Defender isn't active, when I followed this step in the instructions accessed by your link:

1) Go to search ( in Windows charm bar) and type defender and click on it.

I was presented with the Windows Defender window with the message "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." (See attached PNG file for screenshot)

Attached File  2016-03-15_2230_Windows_Defender.png   11.13KB   0 downloads

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

We're going to have to get rude with it :(

Download and install this free program:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Search through it for any Defender entries, then disable them (by removing the x in the far left of the line).

Reboot for changes to take effect - then let us know if it helps.

If not, then we'll rename that file and see what happens (will also do other stuff to keep the system stable - so don't do it until we've discussed it).

#11 JimGoodrich

JimGoodrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

That seems to have made an immediate difference. I'm waiting to see how it holds up in the long run, but it seems far more stable at this point.

Thank you.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Glad to hear that it's helping.

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users