Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC suddenly stopped last night, now my PSU makes a lot of noise

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

I was playing NFSHP 2010 and my PC suddenly stopped. I tried to power it back on, it didn't work. Today, I tried to power it back on and it worked but the PSU made a lot of noise and when I plugged the AC cable it started to make a hard-to-hear-like-a-scream noise. So... How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

I think replacing your psu is your best option.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Well I need to fix it somehow because I don't have the money to buy 2 PSUs + all the hardware needed for that PC.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

Sounds like a cheap fan inside the power supply has frozen a bearing.  Is it spinning??  If it doesn't spin or does very slowly, watch for smoke, that's next.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

PSU made a lot of noise

The only thing that will make any noise in a PS is the cooling fan. I have had two experiences in the past where the circulation fan bearings started squeeling so I replaced the fans. It's really not complicated; power down, unplug the box, and press the power button to discharge the capacitors on the mainboard. There are usually 4 screws holding the power supply to the case, so just remove those and slide it out. Each manufacturer mount it a bit differently, but you can figure it out. You will have to unplug all wires and connectors, so make a diagram or label them as to where they go when you reinstall. Remove the power supply.

At this point, I will strongly caution you not to touch the circuit board; the capacitors on the PS can hold a large charge for several hours.

The fan is mounted separately and usually has a small plug connection to the circuit board. Just unplug it. The fan itself usually removes easily.

Try Newegg.com for fans, they are a good company and the fans are very cheap.

Here is a link to a Youtube video on this:

If you simply don't have the funds at all, remove the fan and put a couple of drops of light machine oil on the axle of the fan. You may have to remove a label or small rubber cap to access it. But....do not use the computer with the fan not working, you can burn out the PS and possibly damage other components as well as corrupting your operating system.

Edited by ranchhand_, 11 March 2016 - 06:56 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Take extra care when working inside a computer PSU. I have done it but one wrong move and you can become a statistic like this person.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50474-teen-electrocuted-while-salvaging-parts-from-a-computer.html

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

It's safer to just replace the psu, I know its money but its better than possibly barbecue yourself

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:45 AM

My friends, I know the riscs and I'll be as cautios as I can. My motherboard is intelligent, so when something doesn't work OK it won't power on the PC. I will try what you guys advised me to do, even buying a new one, but that's for my brother's PC.

#9 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

An update: it completly died. It won't give power to my mouse, it won't charge my phone, nothing.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

Now you do have to replace it.

#11 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

Ok, this is totally idiotic. I forgot that after I disconnected the PSU, I never connected it to the motherboard and CPU. There are some good news: after clening the dust from it, that "hard-to-hear-like-a-scream" noise dissapeared, so, there is some hope. I will still buy another one as I said earlier, but is this PSU good? Corsair VS Series VS650 650W cp-9020098

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Corsair makes good psus, not much else to say.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 Cryo7c1

Cryo7c1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:46 PM

It sounds like the noise you were hearing was a coil whine.  It doesn't always indicate a problem.  A quality power supply shouldn't really generate a lot of coil whine though.  When I was still building my own PCs I'd go for PSUs with solid Japanese components.  The Corsairs claim to have this and they come with up to a 7 year warranty.  That sounds hard to beat honestly.

You could always buy a cheap PSU tester.  They cost less than 5 dollars and that's with free shipping.  They are available on Amazon. :-)

PS - Was this system being protected via a UPS?  I always use a UPS as it conditions the power being sent to the system.  Brownouts can damage equipment, not just surges.

#14 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

1st: What's a UPS?
2nd: I don't think that Floston FL500 is a good PSU, that's the name of the PSU that may have died.
3rd: I can't buy from American shops because I'm Romanian and the shipping would be extremly high cost.
4th: At least I know what PSU to buy.
5th: This PC was bought already made. I have done some modifications in it: I changed the Video Card, the CPU, the motherboard, the OS and now comes the PSU. Next step: RAM.

Edit: Coil Whine is usual sound (at least from what I know), while what I heard wasn't.

Edited by antoniu200, 13 March 2016 - 10:42 AM.

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

UPS is an uninterruptible power supply. Essentially a battery backup for your computer. You can find them on Amazon.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users