Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Spikes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 macca008

macca008

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

I'm suffering with network spikes at home, mostly notable when gaming will jump from say 30ping to 150 for 2 seconds then slowly drop back down, every 2 minutes..

Current Home Network setup (will update tonight as this is off the top of my head at the moment) :

Router with WIFI

Port 1 2 3

Port 1 leads a cable to a gigabit switch via cat 6 cable. From this x3 cables run to My computer, xbox and my bothers computer. (all upstrairs in the house)

Port 2 Leads to a 10/100 switch that has 3 devices connected, a skybox f3 (Ground Floor)

Port 3 Leads to a NAS (ground floor) Rarely turned on.

Interenet speed:

Download 150MB Average

Upload 11MB Average

I'm initatially thinking that its the skybox f3.

I Have tried to use wireshark but, as I've never used it before wasn't sure what was going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

First make sure you don't have something on the lan affecting you.

Start by isolating your lan.  Turn everything off except your pc and what it uses for the internet connection.

See if you get spikes.  Run pingplotter and post a screen shot of what it sees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users