Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my laptop switched off?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi, when I click the 'Shut down' icon, the screen goes black after a few seconds, but the small Wifi light inside the F12 key stays blue for a good 30 seconds or more, then turns orange for about another 10 secs, then goes out and I close the lid.

Question- after clicking the 'Shut down' icon, can I close the lid and go have a cup of tea without waiting 40 secs to check that the light really does go out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Good observation.  You are right.  Other processes, such as Wifi takes a bit longer to turn off even though the screen goes black, however, closing the lid shouldn't affect the shutdown process.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

Thanks, the main reason I asked is because on rare occasions when I start up the laptop, I notice the battery has been drained a bit and  reads something like "92%, charging", even though I always use the laptop plugged into the wall socket, I never use it on battery. So it's a mystery why it switched to battery behind my back even though after the last session I'd clicked the 'Shut down' icon, closed the lid, and then switched off at the wall socket.

PS- there's an on/off power button on the laptop which I press to start it, but can it also be used to switch it off, or should i click the 'Shut down' icon?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 11 March 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:28 PM

Use shutdown. The power button is usually used for hard shutdowns, necessary when the system freezes.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

...and then switched off at the wall socket.

That is why you see "92% charging" sometimes.  By switching off the wall socket the battery is no longer charging so it will slowly drain on its own over time.

Another thing you should be aware of is the life of a battery is determine by certain factors.  Assuming you have a Lithium battery, keeping it at or nearly always full, shortens its life.  Since you quoted a figure of "92%", I am naturally assuming this is happening to you.  I would recommend that you bring the battery's charge to about 50% then remove it from the laptop.  Thereafter, you should occasionally (say every 1 - 3 months) insert, charge and use the battery then bring its charge back to 50% and remove it again.

PS- there's an on/off power button on the laptop which I press to start it, but can it also be used to switch it off, or should i click the 'Shut down' icon?

As jcgriff2 said, always shut down from within Windows.  Only use the physical power button if you have no choice, e.g. the system froze and refuses to accept input from the mouse or keyboard.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

One other thing you could do Mick is go into 'Control panel' - Windows key +'X'  and select control panel - and take a look in 'Power - further options' most laptops have a range of options about what happens when you close the lid. If the option is available to you, choose 'Shut down when i close the lid'. Then all you need to do is shut the lid and the laptop will shut down.

I use this option on a computer which belongs to a Club I am a member of, as well as the SysAdmin and at the end of the night it enables me to get away quicker when the members are poring over the screen looking at results !  Shut the lid, put it in the traveling case along with the rest of the equipment - I'm out the door !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Thanks guys, I'm saving your replies into my 'Techy help' doc..:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users