Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LSP Ultra 650w ATX power supply burnt out looking for alternatives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DiscardedSlinky

DiscardedSlinky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

As the title says my power supply stopped working.
(Smelt a burning plastic smell, let computer cool thinking it was an overheating issue, turned it back on and computer turned off instantly 2 hours later. Will only turn back on for a few mins before turning off again. I did the paperclip test and the fan didn't turn on.)
Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's the power supply. This thing is only two years old so I'm wondering if I should go with a different brand or just buy the same one.

I'm not great with computers, still in highschool learning, and I don't have my specs memorized.
but my graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950.
Not exactly sure about the motherboard but reading the words on it says Black Series crossfirex?
Harddrive WE Blue 1th WE10EZEX
AMD Phenom II 965 processor
All running on Windows 7 if that matters.

Sorry if I didn't leave all info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

Power supplies aren't hard to replace. Just go slowly, and replace cable plug for same. You didn't say what brand and wattage output the old one was, but if you match the watts with the new one you will be fine. Newegg is a good source and usually cheaper than retail stores. Some of the better brand names are Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Rosewill, and Corsair. Stay away from cheap brands or relatively unknown names, I have gone that route in the past and regretted it. Definitely read the users' reviews, that will give you a pretty good idea on dependability. For example, I reviewed one Corsair PS that got good reviews, but in reading them there were several complaints that the cables were stiff and difficult to work with; that would be a reason to pass on that unit. Count how many power connector cables you presently have with your present computer, and make sure you are getting at least that many in the new one. Some PSs don't provide many and that is a royal pain. Unfortunately, many manufacturers do not give detailed specs on how many of each they are providing.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

Well...seems to me that you are totally ignoring the possibility that it was the motherboard which became problematical...rather than the PSU.  IMO, the only way to test that theory would be to temporarily put a different working PSU in and see if the problem goes away.  In any case,

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users