Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Be aware of a new Android infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:03 AM

Use Extreme CAUTION if Banking was done from your Android Unit.

This is a warning to Android users, mainly, of a new infection trying to steal banking details. ..

If you live in Australia or New Zealand areas, you are to be aware of these new problem Banking Hijackers

Many other sites like This One and if required This One also give details.

There are many topics now related to yesterdays massive infection hit, Also Topics Like This  which is only a headline.

Millions of customers of Australia's largest (and now medium) banks are the target of a sophisticated Android attack which steals banking details, so if you have any bank details on your Android, do not use any banking from these devices.

Turn them off and contact us if in doubt, via our normal forum methods.  The Experts will try and help you to remove the infection

This was mainly released on Wednesday night / Thursday morning our time (Australia).

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Phone banking should not be done anyway, due to the massive amount of vulnerabilities that Android and IOS have. I have even heard it said that there are still issues with stagefright.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Hi -

There are still many people who do not think their Android units ( or iPhone or iPad ) are actually computers.

MBAM, most likely Emsisoft, and others (Norton etc) are available for these units as well as Antivirus programs.

These should only ever be downloaded from the official app store, and that is where this infection crept in.

I understand it was in the form of an imitation (read Fake) Adobe style Flash Player update. Every young guy / girl likes to watch videos on their phone or tablet.

To do this they need a version of Flash Player, and often, like other scams, you can download from the wrong site!! Bingo !! Too late !! Infected.

Thanks to Condobloke for these details, and it is very genuine - ESET released research today (earlier), showing malware known as "Android/Spy.Agent.SI" is able to steal login details by locking down a phone when you try to enter a bank’s app.

Believe it or not, there are many business people who add to, transfer, and subtract from their accounts, as part of their normal day.

Many will get a call from a partner (sometimes no call) and find that she / he has used money from one account and not another, and this is much more common than you think. I did some work for a man, and when he went to buy us lunch, the spare account had been "raided" by his wife, so on the spot he moved $200 from another account.

This was not a young 10 year old but an adult man who found himself stuck with no cash and a No Accept credit card.

In 5 minutes we had a beer and a feed thanks to him moving money - Think that could have left 2 business accounts open for hijackers.

Regards ..

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

Honestly the best way to prevent this is to use a credit card and good common sense. That way you don't have to worry about shutting money from one account to another and the risks that come with that. I do however understand that for some types of people, credit cards are one way tickets to deep debt.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hi .. And I do partially agree

Honestly the best way to prevent this is to use a credit card and good common sense.

But if the card account was the one with "No Accept credit card", then you can see what I mean, but it was actually a "Debit Card".

You will find as you grow and travel, that often a "Debit Card" (that only uses your funds) is safer and one used by many business men.

A lot cheap or zero interest % compared to credit cards, and personally safer. I use both, and live on the Debit Card daily, and rarely use Credit Cards.

Check them in your bank, and apart from the very small cash transfer fee, a lot cheaper than Credit Cards % wise...

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,883 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

Great now you tell me, After I installed Android on a laptop. LOL

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607756/remix-os-and-the-android-x86-project-testing/

I don't do Internet banking on mobile devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users