Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(D)DoS Attacks and PC's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:37 AM

So from my understanding, anything connected to the internet that accepts packets can be ddosed.

This being true (correct me if i'm wrong there) I wondered how you would protect your computer/network from this type of attack.

I'm sort of expecting a remarkably simple answer here, it seems like i'm missing something very obvious.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

You mean your computer at home?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Your home network is highly unlikely to ever be targeted. That being said, the best you can do to protect your home network would be to configure a firewall on your router to drop any unanticipated packets.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

A DOS (Denial-of-Service) / DDOS (Distributed Denial-of-Service) Attack typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and root nameservers. The attacks involve saturating the target machine with so many external communications requests that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly that it is essentially rendered useless. As noted by ScathEnfys...Home users are highly unlikely to ever be targeted or subject to a DoS/DDoS attack.

When an attempt originates from a single host of the network, it constitutes a DOS attack. When the attempt originates from multiple malicious hosts in an effort to coordinate to flood the victim with an abundance of attack packets, so that the attack takes place simultaneously from multiple points, it is a DDOS attack.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:28 AM

Sorry if this caused any confusion, yes i did mean a personal network, and yes i do know what they are typically used for. Just curious as to what would need to be done to prevent one.

#6 HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

Your home network is highly unlikely to ever be targeted. That being said, the best you can do to protect your home network would be to configure a firewall on your router to drop any unanticipated packets.

Thanks for an answer to my actual question. ;)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

It wasn't a matter of confusion so no need to apologize. We ask certain questions and provide more information rather than less in order to ensure we address your posting as well as others who may read the topic.

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

There's nothing you can do against a DDoS when you are a "standard" ISP subscriber. The bandwidth of your ISP connection is so low, compared with the bandwidths that DDoSes take up nowadays, that your connection will always saturate. Filtering at your end will not make a difference.

Theoretically speaking, your ISP could do something, by filtering before the packets enter your connection (for example by filtering at the edges of their network), but practically they don't do that because it requires resources e.g. money.

If we are talking about a server, then you can buy protection. You might have noticed an error message from CloudFlare when you browse to the BC forums but don't get a reply. CloudFlare is a company that offers (D)DoS protection, Bleeping Computer is a customer.

PS: to (D)DoS your connection the attackers need to know your IP address.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

A DDoS attack cannot be blocked by a home network, true. A DoS attack though might be able to be blocked with a correctly configured firewall (drops instead of denials).
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#10 HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

It wasn't a matter of confusion so no need to apologize. We ask certain questions and provide more information rather than less in order to ensure we address your posting as well as others who may read the topic.

I see, that makes sense.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

:thumbup2:

#12 trelod91

trelod91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

That is interesting! Can you tell me how to instal a firewall on my router and how to configure drop? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users