Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gordon750

gordon750

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:44 AM

Hi,

Hope someone can give me some advice, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW11ZU laptop and it has suddenly stopped booting Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit). It just goes to a black or green screen with only the mouse pointer showing.
I have tried pressing F8 when starting up and this gives me Advanced Boot Options. The selected option is Repair Your Computer but the enter, esc and arrow keys all fail to function. I have tried pressing shift while booting which also gets nowhere.
When I got the laptop new I created 3 recovery DVDs, inserting number 1 just brings me back to the black screen with mouse pointer.
Now I'm completely stuck, any help appreciated...
I've also checked that the optical drive is first in the boot order.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gordon750

gordon750
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

I've also checked that the optical drive is first in the boot order.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

At Advanced Boot Options have you tried "Use Last Known Good Configuration"?

#4 gordon750

gordon750
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

I'm unable to select this as the keyboard doesn't function when this screen is displayed, strangely it does function when I'm given the Error Recovery screen with choice of either Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally.

I have tried to boot from several recovery DVDs (both internally and in external drive) and USB stick and just get the black screen with cursor.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

Does tapping F11 at boot give you a boot menu? You may have to insert the DVD quickly before tapping F11 or power on the computer, insert the DVD then power down by holding the power button. Power on and tap F11. You should get a boot menu where you can select your optical drive. 

All your data currently on the computer will be erased if you use the Recovery DVDs. Is there data on the computer you need?

Edit: Is this an external Optical Drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 March 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#6 gordon750

gordon750
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:27 AM

Can't get a boot menu, yes external optical drive. I'm going to give up and try saving any files I can from the HDD using an external drive enclosure.

#7 JacobVR

JacobVR

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Whenever I try to turn the laptop on it doesn't even boot or do anything that I can hear. The only thing that happens after a reset it is that I hear a whirring noise for a second then nothing, while at the same time the power light is flashing with the num lock icon. Also i have not put in any new memory nor altered the original components..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users