Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp Pro Start Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kanbun

kanbun

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Have a Compaq laptop running WinXp Pro. Computer won’t boot - get error message that “\windows\system32\config\system” is missing. I do not have a WinXp Pro disc as the OS was in the machine and Compaq doesn’t supply the windows operating system disc. I have been trying to figure a way to create a boot disc from another machine, but so far haven’t been successful. I have downloaded a couple of files that were described as being able to boot the system, but they don’t work either. I have only a CD-ROM drive to work with, no floppy. Can anybody suggest something?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Disconnect all peripheral devices from the computer - the speakers, the wireless PCI card, the printer, any other external device you have added, and physically disconnect the computer from its internet connection.

When you first boot the system look at the bottom of the screen to see if there are instructions to enter Compaq's recovery utility - there should be if it came with neither a Windows Disk or a Restore Disk from Compaq.

It is probably the F10 key, although that may vary.

From Compaq support:
Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.

Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:

To perform a standard system recovery, click Next, and then click Yes.
(Try this first as it will not reformat the drive and you will keep your data and programs)

To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, (select Destructive Recovery) and then click Next.
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.

Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.

After the System Recovery is complete, the PC restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
NOTE: It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours, depending on the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (for example, My Documents and the Desktop).

After the recovery is complete reinstall all Windows Updates, your antivirus program and any program you installed since the computer was new.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 August 2006 - 05:50 PM.

#3 kanbun

kanbun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

No can do. There is no recovery instruction at boot. F10 is the system utility menu, which has no recovery functions. Any other suggestions?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

What's the exact model number of the Compaq laptop? That'll enable someone to lookup the exact sequence to repair this.

In the event that someone has removed the recovery partition - then it's likely that you'll have to purchase recovery CD's from Compaq.

Most often this is a corrupted registry - here's a KB article that details the repair: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kanbun

kanbun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

Compaq R3000.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:10 AM

What choices do you get on the system utility menu? There may be something there that can be used.

According to Compaq support the computer should have come with a Recovery CD.

You will need that to reinstall the operating system back to factory conditions.

If you can't find it, you will have to contact Compaq (HP) support and order either the proper recovery cd or a Windows installation cd. (or both if you can get them) They will charge for this, but far less than if you had to buy a new retail Version of Windows.

If the Windows 25digit Key is not on a sticker on the case or you do not know it, find out from support what it is - you may need it to validate Windows with Microsoft after the reinstall.

You will need your model and serial number when you call support.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 August 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#7 kanbun

kanbun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

I found the system CD - it was still in the box. I can get to the Windows setup screen, which gives two choices. Either setup XP, or repair. I tried repair, but I don't know how to reconfigure for config.sys, which is what appears to be missing (or corrupt). If I choose XP setup, the setup program indicates that there is already an operating system in place, and recommends against installing another OS on the same partition. Obviously, the original OS is there, just missing config.sys (apparently). Seems that repair is the only option using this setup CD, but I'm lost. Can anybody help?

Edited by kanbun, 02 August 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#8 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

What i would suggest would be to go to http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 and follow the instructions on the page to recover from a corrupted registry. That is almost the only thing that that message can mean on boot. Make sure that instructions are followed carefully. Post back if there are any questions. Remember that this is done from booting to the cd and using Recovery Console.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users