Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot with 2 displays

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Justin477

Justin477

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

I originally posted this here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606923/cant-boot-with-2-displays/ but was told this forum would be better.

I just installed a new SSD and moved my OS onto it, however now I can't start my computer with both of my displays plugged in (1 HDMI and 1 DVI). The main display (HDMI) will flash on and off while the DVI does not receive any signal, until I unplug the DVI and then the computer starts like normal. Both displays work just fine after it has booted.

My display driver is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950, and it is up-to-date as of the time I'm posting this. The Nvidia control panel recognizes both displays and has the HDMI selected as the main display without me having to touch it.

I could boot with both displays plugged in before I installed the SSD.

I did a clean install of Windows (not cloning) originally on the SSD and even tried to re-install again to see if it would fix it and it does not.

The only option in BIOS related to display is to go back to my processor's integrated graphics instead of my Nvidia card, but this really should not be related to the issue at all as both the DVI and HDMI are plugged directly into the Nvidia card's ports. (On the other thread I was told to try changing this and changing it back, I tried this and it did not do anything).

Something I found very weird when I was checking the BIOS is that if on boot I go to BIOS, exit, and proceed to boot, it works just fine. But not if I just do a normal boot.

Also, in the last thread I was recommended to boot with just a single display, I don't know if I can set that up in the software but currently I have to physically unplug a monitor which is a huge pain the way they are set up. (Turning either display off to boot does not work).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

I suspect a broken cable to your second monitor. What happens if you switch the monitors and plug cable for monitor 1 into monitor 2. Does it boot?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users