Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remote access help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rogerjet

rogerjet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction, I have a project at work but not too much skill in networking.

What we have is our own 2g network for radio and data.  I can remotely access the devices for radio to obtain log files update s/w and settings from a test rack.  When I connect to the test rack the device (interface unit) gives an IP 192.168.1.1xx  (via built in DHCP server) I can then connect remotely via this interface unit to other remote locations in the 10.10.x.y and 10.11.x.y ranges interface units.

What I would like to do is connect another device in the remote location (a datalogger) to the interface unit, problem is that the data logger has a static IP 10.1.x.x, therefore if I connect directly to the interface unit IP ranges are different as the interface units DHCP server gives 192.168.1.100 and above.

I was thinking that I need to put a router connected to the WAN side the Interface unit and then the datalogger then setup NAT or something on the router to connect me from the 192.168.1.x to 10.1.x.x

Does anybody have any other ideas and do you think this will work.

In the end I wont to be able to connect my laptop to my test rack then connect to my remote location datalogger and access its web interface.  Without major cost which I am trying to avoid assume I cannot change the devices ip ranges / settings. To add I am told that the interface unit has OpenVPN server running but I do not have the config files to setup client.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrew149

andrew149

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:00 AM

Try using remote support softwares like logmein or R-HUB remote support servers and see if it resolves your issue.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

"problem is that the data logger has a static IP 10.1.x.x"

You should be able to chance that setting.

alternatively change your 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to 10.1.0.0/24.  pretty easy to do by just changing the dhcp scope.

note:software can't address being in the wrong subnet for access.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 14 April 2016 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users