Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got something installed from Russia

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

I realize I am not the first one to do this, but when I was setting up my new (to me)  Dell Lattitude E5500  yesterday, I was trying to be careful, but I still missed something.  I was following advice from a computer guy, or at least the sequence of things he recommended, knowing I can change this if I want to.

First  I downloaded PC Decrappifier and ran it-it found nothing out of line :) Then, I downloaded Advanced System Care-free version and ran the scan.  Nothing was out of order, one item that I neglected to write down was fixed.  I did notice I had an ad for a driver booster after that, but I removed that.  I did not use it. Next was downloading the free version of Bitdefender for antivirus.  I am not committed to it but it seems like it should work.  I have used others, AVG most recently but I don't like being prompted to upgrade all the time. ( If I want to upgrade something I will Just do what you say you do and they say they are strong, effective and silent.  Be that.) 

Next up I went to Ninite.com and got: Chrome, Firefox, Silverlight Air, Java 8, Javax648, Shockwave, Revo uninstaller, Notepad++ (just in case 'Id need to come here :P Just kidding!) Auslogics, Teamviewer ll (pc guy uses for remote access), Open Office, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D.   Oh, I forgot- I also got IOBit uninstaller, free but from the website.  

Then I ran the updates to Windows, it had three or four updates (i think they werr cummulative) and the pc rebooted three times when needed.  I checked for updates again, got one more and then I made sure it was set to auto update along with the Microsoft updates too.  Next step, and this is where I got hit, was to update drivers  Went to Driver Pack Solution, site and got the little 2.4 mb file.  I did not see anything that seemed to be anything but drivers, and I had selected just drivers, but I was warned to watch out for Opera or Yandex -Russian programs. I had an interruption (math question) and out of the corner of my eye I saw a warning come out at the right of my desktop and saw Opera, but I wasn't able to stop it.  I did not see the Yandex thing until later when I went back and checked. I knew I could uninstall Opera, so I didn't stress over it.

I opened Revo Uninstaller and turned off Java updates (I like to do those manually) and then I ran Spybot S&D updates and then immunization.  Wherever it said there was an issue I let it fix-there was only a few.  Did a full scan as well-and a few issues were detected and fixed.  I launched Firefox to start the setup of it, and was horrified by a page of Russian text!  I didn't want to panic, as I had been warned about the Russian stuff if any of the programs got installed with the Driver Pack Solution download.  But I kinda did anyway. :P   So, knowing I had a couple good uninstallers to use, I first ran the decrappifier and saw I had a couple more- Yanex being one) and then uninstalled them..The one uninstaller (Revo) is supposed to be good at getting rid of the leftover scraps so I ran that as well. 

So all was well :)   NOT :(    That was when I discovered Mr Murphy, which is a seperate issue/post.  I didn't want to mess with it so I left it until today.  I've been messing around very little except to go back and check my programs and uninstall the russian ones. Then I scanned and updated-discovered that some of the russian versions of Microsoft Visual c++  that I had seen were now gone, and relaxed a little.    I rebooted and logged on via my account (and have not been able to do anything else cuz of the admin issue-see post)  I noticed when I launch Firefox I get the page of Russian, but I am pretty sure its gone in my pc....so I did a search in Mozilla support on Yandex and found a post.  Its not recent and is associated with Win 8 and so some of the directions don't make sense to me.  I am new to Win 10 as it is-Vista being my last operating system-and didn't want to do anything I'd regret. Hahaha!  So I switched to Chrome which I actually like now.  I haven't used it much-just doing some reading on here about antivirus/malware etc tools.  I had to attend to something else and I noticed that in my bookmarks on Chrome was two Russian pages-I deleted them, and went to check again if they are gone-didn't see them.  

So...Is there anything I should do?  And can someone help me fix the Firefox problem?  I guess I can't do a whole lot until my other problem is resolved.  Thought about just going back to the original factory condition and starting over, except that I wonder if that will mess up my operating system since it is a factory refurbished with Win 10 instead of 7 which is what it had originallly.

Sorry this is so long-but I know from before it helps to have details. 

Thanks!

Sarah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:26 AM

I have somehow managed to fix the problem by unlinking the emails to Microsoft accounts and using a local account for both of us-from another post re admin problems.  Not sure why, but all Russian text is gone.  And other than having to set things up again in my browsers and the hassle of fixing some logins, I think all is well.  But I will continue to read and arm myself and my new laptop.  And should anything come up-I will seek help.

Thanks for reading-and if you think there's anything else I need to be doing...just post here. :)

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:36 AM

Do you have a lot of programs on this computer? A lot of personal data? At this point I would recommend a clean install of Windows 10 or at least a reset. Then after that I would NOT install PCDecrapifier, Advanced System Care or Bitdefender. Those are just junk programs that can do more damage to your computer than they can fix. The built in AV with Windows 10 is enough.

And what is Opera? I love the Opera that I have and use, it is a very good web browser.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

Some Extra Info:

Yandex is a legit company, you can compare it with Google...

Greets!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Then after that I would NOT install PCDecrapifier, Advanced System Care or Bitdefender. Those are just junk programs that can do more damage to your computer than they can fix. The built in AV with Windows 10 is enough.

PCDecrapifier does not do "more damage to your computer". In fact, it does NO damage to a computer.

It is an UNINSTALLER. Use it to get rid of bloatware on off-the-shelf systems or uninstall something you put on the computer.

I and others have suggested it.

It's available in the Bleeping Computer Downloads section.   We would not offer it for download here if it was harmful.

One of the advantages of PC Decrapifier http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/pc-decrapifier/

I've used it many times to get rid of pre-installed bloatware on my laptops and my daughter's computer. It does not contain a registry cleaner. All it does is remove the programs you don't want. It gives you the option of marking multiple programs for uninstall if you don't want to do them one by one. If using it to check more than one for uninstall and a program says to reboot, you can say NO, continue with the uninstall, then reboot when finished.

Now to point out something about Driver Pack Solution and other 3rd party driver update utilities.

Not only will these programs try to tell you that your drivers are out of date, they will indiscriminately suggest driver downloads from sites not associated with the manufacturer of the original drivers. All drivers should be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Those utilities will claim that updating drivers will make your computer run better and faster.
From here https://vcompremium.com/why-you-should-not-use-automatic-driver-update-software/

The final line is no driver will boost your computer. When there is a new driver released, it is for fixing common bugs in the old driver architecture. If you are experiencing problems and need to update a driver, we would always recommended updating the specific driver instead of looking for all-in-one driver updater software.

All-in-one Driver Update Software manufacturers will tell you that if you keep all your drivers up to date, your system will run faster and your performance will heighten. And here is the slight difference between the truth and the marketing of these software companies. Often, the goal of the driver updater software is not to keep your drivers up to date, that is secondary … the real aim is to get you to install the other applications and programs that they bundle into their installers, this is known as “Foistware”. The author of the program is paid by the Foistware makers to include their program in his program installer. Therefore, you end up installing one product that contained 3 or 4 others that will usually start using up your system’s resources. Also, most of them will ask you for money in order to unlock more benefits and super boosting tools – all totally false claims.

Driver updates are released free from every hardware manufacturer. And this brings up the question where do these programs download their drivers from? Are they really downloading the drivers from the manufacturer? Who knows? We believe we do. We’ve tested a great number of these Driver Update programs. On a fresh installation of Windows, with the most recent drivers from the manufacturer, the program reports that 80% of drivers were outdated and need to be updated.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 March 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:23 AM

Thanks, did not know that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

since I asked I guess I will also say I have continued my research and decided to not use the free bitdefender but to try avast.  I know everyone has opinions on antivirus, and I have some too....I will try it out and if I don't like it-try another.

I don't know anything about Opera-except from another pc person-my experience is with Firefox on my first laptop (Vista) and other than not being able to use my banks online banking cuz my system wasn't compatible even with firefox,(which might not be a bad thing these days anyway) I liked it.  I started using chrome on my smartphone (android-no choice) and like it.  Once I learn more and have my pc protected I will try other browsers....someday I might even try Linux-but I am not anywhere near ready for that. :P

And I do realize Yandex is legit-but in Russian which I don't speak so it is irrelevant *to me*.   And I do apologize for my poor choice of wording for my post title.  It sounded anti Russian....I was still a little overwhelmed and panic-y.  Sorry if I offended anyone. ")

Sarah

#8 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

another question...Is pcdecrappifier  something you use while online or download.  And is it a good idea to use it when needed, or keep it in my pc.  I will check out the links the moderator posted, but  the question came to me when I was reading.

thanks

sarah

#9 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

And I do realize Yandex is legit-but in Russian which I don't speak so it is irrelevant *to me*.   And I do apologize for my poor choice of wording for my post title.  It sounded anti Russian....I was still a little overwhelmed and panic-y.  Sorry if I offended anyone. 

No problem!  :wink:

Yandex services are also available in English: Click!

Greets!

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

PC Decrapifier is an on-demand program, which means it does not get installed on your computer.

You can use the download from Bleeing Computer which when used will list your installed programs.

OR

You can run it from https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download/free
This is a new version and has an different user interface.

First you click Analyze.

The next screen after Analyzing has 3 categories:

Recommended: These are popular items to be removed by many of our users.

Questionable These where somewhat popular items to remove, but proceed with caution.

Everything Else which lists installed programs.

Every program will have Program Type next to it. When running it from the website, it tells me Application or Start Up.

Check the programs to uninstall and let the program get rid of them.

#11 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

So now I have another question.  I ran the pcdecrappifier and I found a couple things that I wonder about.  I have three Microsoft Visual c++ redistributable versions...and yesterday when I was trying to figure out the Russian problem and my admin/accounts problem (in the other post I mentioned above)  I found several others with Russian text under them which I assumed were part of my problem, so I uninstalled the ones with the Russian language.  When I ran updates it found one unrelated.  So I would assume the ones left and shown in the scan belong there.  Right?

I also found two things that are listed as startup items, OneDrive (which I know is part of my admin/accounts problem)  it automatically insists you link your user id with email and your microsoft account...and that is where my hubs made the mistake that so messed things up.  I fixed that, but do not want OneDrive to be used, at least not now.  According to the pcdecrappifier window, i can remove it from startup but it will still be in the pc and available.  Should I do this, or is that asking for trouble?  The other item in startup is SDTray and it says the same thing. So, any advice on that?  Im comfortable leaving them if it is better to, but the OneDrive is my biggest concern.

Oh, and one other thing I did is delete my hubs user account because Is still saw Russian (sorry if I seem fixated on that, but I don't understand it and I am not confident in english with some of the pc stuff as it is-don't need a language I don't know to further muddy the waters for me!)  I had a file saved with his stuff (there wasn't much except a couple of Russian items which I deleted and then I deleted his file. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users