Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some MP3 tags show up incorrectly in WMP11 on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

I created a bunch of background soundtrack for a game that my friends and I are creating, one of the Mp3's included has a title tag of "Love? (Under the Influence of a Pokémon's Attract)". The tag was incorrectly "Love_ (Under the Influence of a Pokémon's Attract)" up until about a month ago because I was in a hurry and hit "Filename to tag" on all my created Mp3's forgetting that Windows cannot have a question mark in the file name. The mp3 sat with that incorrect title tag for a few weeks. I fixed the tag before these mp3s even touched a Windows XP machine. However, Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11 show the title as "Love_ (Under the Influence of a Pokémon's Attract)" rather than "Love? (Under the Influence of a Pokémon's Attract)" despite that the changes to the files was made before copying them to Windows XP. My Windows XP machine has a better sound system to listen to them on but that mp3 along with a few others that once had errors in the tag show up with the old tag in XP. Windows XP has never seen these files with the old tags but still shows them in Media Player. If I take those files that display in Media Player incorrectly and put them in another folder back on the same Windows 7 machine, voila, the tags display correctly including the one "Love? (Under the Influence of a Pokémon's Attract)" mp3.

Why is Windows XP using this old information and how do I get it to show the correct fixed information?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

I suspect - I am not certain, but strongly suspect - it has to do with the meta-data, the information that gets stored along with the track.

Just a suggestion but I think it would work for you. Open these files in an editor like Audacity and export them to a new folder but give them the correct tags and any other information you might want to include in the box that appears after you click 'Export' and 'Save as' then use the newly exported files in place of the ones you have at the moment. This extra level of processing should not affect the sound quality.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users