Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Wireless to 802.11AC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 destry.stevens

destry.stevens

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

I have an older HP Pavillion Dv7-1129wm upgraded to 8gb of RAM. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, everything else is standard and listed in specs in the link below;

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01555852

I would like to upgrade the wireless adapter card to one that supports 802.11AC. I have read through the service manual and the list of compatible devices and it does not include a card that supports AC.  I have heard that HP blocks cards that aren't set up in there bios.

Is there a way around this to keep from having to get rid of my old device or utilize a usb type wireless adapter? Is there possibly a bios update or something that will allow for an expanded list of wifi adapters?

As technology changes we should be able to upgrade these devices to keep them functional. If not, it is probable that I will stop buying HP.

Anybody have any ideas to revive this old monster of a laptop, or is 802.11n as new as I can go?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

You can put in a request over BIOS Mods to have the whitelist removed.  You can search the forum to see if anyone has ever put in a previous request to modify the BIOS for the same model computer.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:51 AM

A card? May be better off with a dongle.

A dongle would override the motherboard possible incompatibilities

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-T1U-Encryption-Standards/dp/B016K088UC/ref=sr_1_22?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1457679017&sr=1-22&keywords=802.11ac+dongle

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users