Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat32 Vs. Ntfs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 magman68classic

magman68classic

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:57 PM

What is the difference between FAT32 and NTFS?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

From Bleeping Computer's own glossary:

FAT32 Also known as: File Allocation Table (FAT)

NTFS

And a more indepth explanation here:File Systems Unraveled

Be (Allocation Table) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

The way that they store files on your hard drive.

The most basic difference is that NTFS is much more flexible and secure than FAT32 - but FAT32 is easier to work with.

Here's a link that explains it in more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_systems#Disk_file_systems
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 magman68classic

magman68classic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

Ok, is there a way to convert them to the other one?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:48 AM

Converting a partition from FAT32 to NTFS can be done by an inbuilt utility in the Windows XP operating system — but it is important to realise that it is a one-way process. You cannot convert back.

Quote from CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP

Be (You can't go backwards) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 magman68classic

magman68classic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

So I probably shouldn't even mess with it. Thanks though.

#7 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Also, NTFS can't be read by older OS's so if you dual boot with something like windows 98, any volumes formatted with NTFS will be unread able to windows 98, however XP can read FAT and NTFS. NTFS has better securitys going down to file level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users