Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with admin settings...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

I am super irritated at the moment but will try to be levelheaded as I am marginally hopeful that this is fixable.

I have a refurbished Dell Latitude E5500 laptop that came clean and with Win 10.  I have another issue but will address that in a different thread.

I wanted to set this thing up-without interference, but Murphy lives at my house, so my husband, anxious to use the new toy, couldn't keep his fingers off the thing.  He is computer illiterate,(last time he used anything with any purpose it was Win98 and a tiny bit on Vista), and while I am by no means anywhere near knowledgeable like I want to be, I am trying to learn what I can.  That is how I found this forum, a couple years back I had issues with an older Vista laptop-and got great help here.

So, near as I can figure, I had been the first one to log onto this pc, but had not gotten all things setup yet.  I was working on it, butwe homeschool our kids plus had supper to get, so I was going to come back and continue my project after supper.  I was checking what this machine had in it, and putting in things like Malwarebytes and spybot S&D, my browsers etc. I ran into an issue, as mentioned above, but since no one was supposed to be doing anything on it, no problem.  Enter Murphy..in the form of my husband who wanted to set up his Hulu account.  I believe he was doing this through the tiles on the desktop, and eventually he confessed he messed it up. I think instead of logging on as me using the password I told him, he logged on as a new user, and made himself admin.  He has no business being "admin" as I do in messing with his truck   :P

I explained what he did wrong and he tried to fix it instead of waiting until I was free to work on it again-I was going to come right here. My trouble now, is he changed me to admin but was logged on as admin (I figure he had to be in order to make changes), but used my password and now I can't log on-same password-duh!   Makes sense, except I don't know how to change it.

I also believe he set up a Microsoft account when he did this, which I hadn't (cuz my email is the one we used with the old Vista laptop and I have no idea the password), I just skipped thatto save time and used a local account.  So to continue the difficulty-I can't change the password though the live link online because its in his email and password, and I can't do anything because I am admin, but can't log in because of the using the same password issue.  

Is there any way to fix this?  And how? This was yesterday/last evening by the way.

Thanks!

Sarah 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

Two things I'd if it happened to me.  Either restore from a full system backup I made to an external hard drive, or use System Restore.  I hope you made backups and enabled System Restore since it's off by default in Windows 10.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

If your husband changed the password on your account and linked his email to it, it's obvious he needs to sign in before you can make any changes.  Once he signs in to your account, you can change the password and unlink his email to make it a local account again.

#4 HeartsongAcres

HeartsongAcres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:21 AM

So swapping out the accounts and resetting them as local accounts has fixed the problem.  I had to go back and use my old Microsoft account so I could unlink from it.  And then I was able to fix it all.  And my problem with the Russian stuff is also gone.  totally.  I am again thankful for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users