Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Cloning from HDD to SSD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

I would like to upgrade my current system (Windows 7, soon to be Windows 10) that has two HDDs to instead use a SSD for my system drive, while keeping the HDDs for storing data files.

Am currently gathering info on how to install and clone to the SSD myself, in order to save the cost of paying a computer tech to do the upgrade.  The process looks complicated, but hopefully with a little advice from BC folks, I'll be able to figure it out.

My first concern is as follows:  If I connect a blank SSD, then use software like Macrium Reflect free to clone my existing system HDD to the SSD, most instructions recommend disconnecting my old system HDD to prevent confusing Windows before I next boot the computer.  However, if I disconnect the old HDD, how will I ever be able to reformat it so that it can be used to store data?

Also, do I need to be concerned about whether or not my motherboard will support a SSD, or do all motherboards (even old ones) support using them?  For example, I've seen advice about changing the BIOs setting from IDE to AHCI before first booting to the SSD.  My BIOS has this option, but only under the RAID settings.  Will this be okay, or is this a problem?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

My first concern is as follows:  If I connect a blank SSD, then use software like Macrium Reflect free to clone my existing system HDD to the SSD, most instructions recommend disconnecting my old system HDD to prevent confusing Windows before I next boot the computer.  However, if I disconnect the old HDD, how will I ever be able to reformat it so that it can be used to store data?

Also, do I need to be concerned about whether or not my motherboard will support a SSD, or do all motherboards (even old ones) support using them?  For example, I've seen advice about changing the BIOs setting from IDE to AHCI before first booting to the SSD.  My BIOS has this option, but only under the RAID settings.  Will this be okay, or is this a problem?

Question 1: reconnect it after first boot.

Question 2: Motherboard manufacturer and model? AHCI is not mandatory.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

You don't have to disconnect it...but you do have to enter the BIOS and change the designated boot drive to the new one in the boot hierarchy.  Windows will detect the old drive (as it should) and the new drive (as it should) but it will only boot from the drive designated as the boot drive.

As long as the old drive is not reflected in the BIOS boot order, Windows cannot boot from it.

Louis

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

Drillingmachine,

My motherboard is an MSI P43 NEO3, and the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Q8400 Quad Core 2.65 GHz.  

They're a bit old, as I built my system in 2008, but it still works great!

Hamluis,

Thanks for the info.  This upgrade process may turn out easier than I thought.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

It's easy...as long as you remember what the goal is :).

Once you boot with the new drive as the boot drive and the old drive as mere storage, you can move files, delete files, delete the Windows folder on the old drive, format the old Windows partition and create a new one...whatever it is that you want to do.

Louis

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

Windows MAY write files needed for boot to something else than boot drive. So disconnecting every other than boot drive during Windows installation is highly recommended. That way other than boot drives can be safely removed and Windows will still boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users