Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 10pin

10pin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

While trying to create a recovery dish I get message that an error occurred and unable to create a recovery disk. If I uncheck backup system files to recovery drive it,creates the drive. Not having the system files will I still be able to use it to boot my pc if I need to. Originally Windows 7.

HP Pavilion p2 PC

Intel Pentium Processor G62OT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

10pin:

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to create a Windows Start-Up Recovery disk, or are you using a backup application?

If you have created a "recovery drive", can you boot from it?

There are a lot of good backup products out there, both free and paid.  I consider Windows to be a last resort system backup, preferring to alternate weekly between EaseusToDo Backup Home (paid) and Macrium Reflect (paid), both of which will create an emergency WinPE disk to permit you to restore your system image backups if your hard drive fails, or the system files are corrupted.  Of course, I recommend backing up to an external drive, disconnected, when not running backups or restores.  Ransomware, and other malware, will go after connected drives.

A little more information might help me, help you. :wink:

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 10pin

10pin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

I am trying to create a USB recovery drive. I  had no problem creating one for each of my other computers. if there comes a time I'm not able to boot up I will have the disk so I can, That's if I understand the reason for creating one. Like I said in my original post that when I check the box (back up system files to recovery drive) I get a a message that an error occurred  and was unable to create a recovery drive. If I uncheck that option , it creates one without the system files.. l have no idea if it would  work without the system files not included in the recover drive. Hope that  I clarified what I was trying to do.

Thanks Robert

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

It looks like other people are having the same problem.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

I have had this problem with several Dell's right out of the box.

Creating a startup drive without the system files will let you access the repair tools - but you won't be able to reinstall the system.

First, open up a Command Prompt and type "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
A small window should open and you'll be looking for it to say that Windows is "permanently activated"

What this means is that Windows 10 is activated on the Microsoft servers - so it'll automatically activate if you have to reinstall it.

Then, if you wish to recovery the system and the built in tools don't work - you'll have to contact HP for recovery media.

They will send you W7 recovery media - which you only need if you're going back to W7.  If going to W10 and it's "permanently activated" all you need is the Media Creation Tool and an ISO of the last version of W10

Here's a link for that:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just read the section that starts with "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?"

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 10pin

10pin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

Today I downloaded and installed Windows 10 upgrade update and was able to create a usb recovery drive. Go figure,

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"

Most likely from Sir Arthur Helps, in Realmah, 1868

Glad to hear that you got it to work!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users