Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All documents, media and desktop missing? (help please)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 2jonnyb

2jonnyb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

I have a huge issue with my desktop PC at the moment. Everything was fine when I was using my PC yesterday but upon startup today a system message appeared saying that the desktop file in the system32 folder couldn't be found and my desktop was a black screen with nothing but recycle bin(I did have lots of shortcuts and folders). Shorty after other applications such as Skype prompted me to locate the files or reinstall the software. Using the recycle bin on the desktop i accessed the files(or lack thereof) to find all of the document, video, picture, ect. drives empty with strange string of random numbers and letters(looks like hexadecimal?) at the top where it would normally say "documents" or whatever. Whilst the documents are gone the C drive is perfectly intact with program files and other stuff. The start menu does not work either so I cannot access control panel or command prompt but "windows key + x" shortcuts still work.

To my knowledge I haven't installed any suspicious software as I am well versed enough in computers to not click any old pop up, in fact I do not remember installing anything.

I can't access my PC specs as control panel cant be accessed but it is a vibox gaming pc and is on windows 10.

Thanks a huge amount in advance for any help you can give me, this is really affecting me as I have important files that seem to have been lost.

I am posting this from an old laptop, I cannot access chrome or any internet browser on my PC.

Any ideas?

Again, thanks in advance for any help you have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 2jonnyb

2jonnyb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

UPDATE: I fixed the issue, the solution(for anyone with the same issue) is to do a system restore to any date before the issue occurred.

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Thats cool,glad you fixed it,i would still do a good virus check just to make sure nothing is ligging about.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:06 AM

Also, now's a great time to do a backup - just in case it happens again and you can't successfully revert to a restore point.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users