Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXE files on XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rustik

Rustik

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hi Guys.
Nasty little irritation on XP (SP2).
I can't open .EXE files. Updates from Adobe flash, CCleaner, etc, download to desktop but when I try to open or run them, I just get the eggtimer for a few seconds, then nothing. Anyone got a sure-fire, (preferably simple) way of correcting this?
Needless to say, I've run all the scans, (Malwarebytes, ESET, ADW and Housecall) and everything comes up clean.
I suspect a registry corruption.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:12 PM

There is a program called FixExec.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/fixexec/

I don't know if FixExec is the right solution for you, it's just a suggestion. (I also don't know if FixExec will work)

If you decide to use FixExec, you SHOULD make a Backup of ALL your Files on your XP Operating System.

You should at least make a backup of all your Personal Documents on your XP Operating System.

Usage of FixExec is at your own Risk. Before using it, backup all your Important Files and Folders.

#3 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

Try to read the OS requirement for software that you are downloading from Internet.

Many software not longer support XP and they just wouldn't run/install into your system

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

Have you tried a repair install of XP?  Have you tried installing SP3 and all subsequent critical updates for XP?

With only SP2 installed...there is a serious malware possibility.  I don't know the exact number of critical updates post SP2 but I'm pretty sure the number is well over 100.  Any sort of system impairment may be the result of malware.

Louis

#5 Rustik

Rustik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

Thanks to all you guys.

However, the solution seems to have been much simpler.

The issue is now resolved (at least, today) in the following way.

I looked at the properties of two .exe files on my desktop (which has been my download destination for years without problems)

that wouldn't open. I discovered they were both BLOCKED. Clicking UNBLOCK allowed both files to run and install correctly.

What I am now curious about is why downloads should suddenly become blocked when they never were before.

I repeat my earlier point that Malwarebytes, ADW, ESET and Housecall have all come up clean with no sign of any infections.

So is this sudden and unexpected blocking a sign of infection or some other glitch somewhere?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

Frankly...I've never heard of an application having a "blocked" status, but you might take a look at Google Results For Application Blocked .

Any questions about malware should probably be asked in a forum dealing with security and malware...not here.  The scope of this forum does not included attempting to offer advice/suggestions about malware, for the protection of members with such potential/actual issues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users