Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot on new PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:03 AM

Hello. I bought a new computer last week. The specs are pretty good (core i3, 8gb ram...) and I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. However, I find the boot time to be very slow (about 1.5 ~ 2 minutes). And after finally booting up, the pc is still pretty slow the first few minutes I use it (internet browser, games are all slow to start). Though the computer starts working much better after around 3 minutes of having it on. 

I know there isn't a universal way to fix problems like this, so perhaps there is a tool of some sort that could help diagnose the slow boot?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

If it's running a spinner (an old, slow hard drive with spinning platters), replacing it with a SSD makes a world of difference. (The bootup times, in seconds, on my systems are are all down in the teens).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

If it's an OEM (HP, Dell, et alia) system...it's probably some crapware and some unnecessary startup items  which are loaded on many OEM systems.

If it's self-built, take a look at the startup items and kill all the ones which do not relate to Windows or AV/firewall.  You can use a tool like those mentioned at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-startup-manager.htm .  Starter is probably the easiest, while Autoruns is probably more for advanced users and requires some understanding of how the data is presented.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2016 - 01:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users