Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will waiting be all right after applying thermal paste?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rjisinspired

rjisinspired

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:38 AM

I spent yesterday and last night building a new system and some hours ago I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I used Arctic Silver 5 for the paste.

I was about to get ready to turn on the computer and prepare the DVD drive to load the operating system disk but I didn't take into account that the motherboard that I have doesn't have an IDE connection to it. The DVD drive was given to me from a friend, some time ago.

My question is: by not turning on the computer as soon as I thought I would be, would this harm the computer in any way?  I have read, from some place else, that once the paste is on you probably should begin by turning on the computer and let the compund start to bond? I used a small pea sized amount of the paste and attached the hyper 212 to the CPU.

It is a little after 3am and Walmart doesn't open up until 8 or 9am. Do I need to take off the CPU cooler or can I just leave it there for a little while longer? This was my first time installing a cooler such as this. I had some struggles trying to get it on..

Thanks for any suggestions anybody may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

Unless doing heavy overclocking, thermal paste should work more than well enough.

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

5 degrees hardly makes any difference.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

That looks like an HDT-type cooler, this article describes the best application method for that type.  This may help you even more with temperatures.

3939.png

#4 rjisinspired

rjisinspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

Thank you both for the information. That was a first with installing a cooler of that type. It was somewhat of a test of my patience, lol.

I'll be getting a lot of use with the new computer. 200 hours will coast right by. My old computer was on pretty much all of the time unless I was doing maintenance, rebooting or if the power went out.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

it shouldnt hurt anything to wait. Its there, it will just sit there until you turn it on. I probably wouldnt let it sit for months (rather it harden by heat then dry out) but it shuldnt hurt a thing. Ive let them sit for a few days before before turning on without any ill effects, as long as it was applied evenly, with enough to cover the entire die but not to much, letting it sit for a day or two while you wait for a new DVD drive to come in.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 rjisinspired

rjisinspired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

Thanks the_patriot11  Got the DVD drive and all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users