Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot windows 7 from usb to load on new ssd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James0873

James0873

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hey, I have a Toshiba Satellite P-745-S4102, It has  an I3 processor with 6 gigs of ram, the hdd crashed and now I'm trying to upgrade

to a ssd (sandisk 240gb), I went to getintopc.com and downloaded the windows 7 premium Iso 64 bit, also download windows 7 dvd/usb

download tool along with bootsect.exe 64bit. I went into the bios and changed the boot order to boot from USB,  I forgot to mention I 

downloaded this to a USB Sandisk flash drive. Anyway, the computer will not boot from the USB drive, no matter what I try it still won't 

boot from USB. I've tried switching boot speed from fast to normal and USB legacy emulation is enabled, I hope I didn't leave any 

pertinent information out, and thanks in advance for any help.....James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

First of all, let's get some things straight...

• The only official download for Windows 7 is here on this Microsoft page.
  • You must have a valid retail key in order to download from the official site mentioned above.  An OEM key will not work.

From the above, you should note 2 things...

• Neither getintopc.com or anybody else is authorized to distribute Windows ISOs.  Furthermore, when you download software from unauthorized sources you run the risk of getting infected.
  • You didn't say, but I believe Windows came pre-installed on you computer.  That means you have an OEM version of Windows and you cannot use that product key to download a Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft.

I know, I know.  The above puts you in a bind.  Here are your choices...

• Beg or borrow a Windows 7 install disc from a friend.  I believe your computer had Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit so the version on the disc must be the same.
  • Take a chance with the Windows 7 ISO which you downloaded from getintopc.com.  If you choose this course, at the very least, you should verify the checksum of the ISO.  There are two Windows 7 ISOs - one without Service Pack 1 and one with Service Pack 1.  The SHA1 checksums are 336779EA6B65F63E11A609B4D021439C47AB315B and 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9 respectively.  If you want, you can look up these checksums yourself by searching for them at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads.

Also, I see you mentioned that you downloaded "windows 7 dvd/usb download tool" and "bootsect.exe 64bit", however, you don't need these to make a bootable USB.

Your mention of "USB legacy emulation" has also led me to believe you have UEFI firmware and not BIOS.  If so, you should follow the instructions in this article to make a bootable USB flash drive.  I recommend the first method using Rufus.  After you have created the USB you should be able to boot from it without changing anything in the UEFI.

Edited by Agouti, 10 March 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

I second Agouti's advise. Get an official disk from a friend if at all possible. If you look through the getintopc site there are downloads that should not even be available. If I remember correctly, I was helping a person on the Forum who downloaded an iso of Windows from getintopc and the hashes did not match. I would take that as a warning.

Edit: Deleted Hash link. @Agouti, thanks for the msdn  link to the hashes.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 March 2016 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users