Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot copy files from External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drummer4455

drummer4455

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

Hi there,

I have all of a sudden run into this problem where if I try to copy files off my external drive the speed starts at about 80MB/s and then drops to the point where it does absolutely nothing.

I can copy files to the drive fine but can't take any off.

I have a spare backup but it doesn't have 30GB that I need back from this stuffed up external hard drive. 

Has anyone got any ideas as to why I can copy files to the hard drive and also read them fine, but can't copy them off.

Thanks

Edited by drummer4455, 09 March 2016 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

Have you tried the drive on a different USB port? 

If it still has the same issue on all your USB ports have you tried the drive on a different computer?

The drive itself could have a problem or the USB bridge card in the enslosure. 

Download Gsmartcontrol. Double click on your External Drive and look under the attributes tab. Are there any pink or red rows? 

If you have the option then remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it to another computer either internally, using a USB enclosure or USB adapter. Some WD and portable drives have the USB bridge card as part of the drive's PCB. If that is the case with your drive then you would not be able to use an adapter, enclosure, or attach internally.

How much free space is on the drive? What is the make and model of the drive? You may be able to pull data from the drive to your internal drive using a live linux disk. Sometimes linux can copy the data where Windows fails.

#3 drummer4455

drummer4455
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

I have tried on different computers and USB ports yes.

Gsmart said this "No additional information is available for this drive"

I tried to remove the Hard drive but it is a WD Elements Passport, 1TB drive and the usb bridge card is part of the drive :/

170GB free on the drive.

#4 drummer4455

drummer4455
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

I have noticed that it can transfer small parts at a time fine like upto 150MB, but anything bigger than that and it slows down to about 350KB/s

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

Lets try using a live linux disk. Download PartedMagic here. Burn the iso file to disk and boot or if a disk is not available you can create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus.

When running Rufus select MBR for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image, click the small icon and browse to the Parted Magic iso file. Press Start. 

Boot the Disk or USB flash drive and follow this guide to copy data to your internal HDD. Gsmartcontrol saying do info is available is concerning. 

If your computer has Windows 8 preinstalled then you may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. You may also need to enable CSM or Legacy Boot. If your UEFI settings has Fastboot then disable that also.

If Parted Magic fails to boot then use Fatdog64 that can boot UEFI with SecureBoot enabled but the copying method is a little different. If you cannot use PartedMagic then post back and I will give instructions on using Fatdog.

#6 drummer4455

drummer4455
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

What do I do once I get PartedMagic running?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

Copy the files from your external drive to your internal drive. You have the required space, correct?

#8 drummer4455

drummer4455
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

Copy the files from your external drive to your internal drive. You have the required space, correct?

It did the exact same thing as windows, got to about 150MB copied then slowed down to copying at below 1MB/s

#9 drummer4455

drummer4455
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

infact it has completely stopped at 161 MB, the speed is slowly decreasing more and more, it is at below 330KB/s now

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

Being we were taking Windows out of the equation tells me the hard drive and or the USB bridge card is failing. I would get as much data as you can get off before it fails completely. I am not sure what else to try at this point. 

Doing this copying is possibly putting more strain on the drive. If the data is valuable to you then you may be better off using a professional data recovery service that can run from $800 on up.

Edit: If your budget does not allow you to use a professional data recovery service then copy your most important small files 

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 March 2016 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users