Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Leaving the pc on 24/7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

I normally leave my pc on 24/7 but try to remember to log out and log back in to a limited user account so that windows and other programs can updated as they need.

Since recent events I may need to rethink that policy.

Would logging off with no user logged on, would anything be able to update at all or does some user need to be logged in.

Thank you in advance for thoughts on this.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

Honestly, I can't say whether Windows will update automatically if no user is logged on.  However, you should at least restart the PC once a week.  Doing so clears any cruft that might have built up and can cure mysterious issues.  I know there are users who leave their PCs on 24/7 but somehow I feel it increases their chances of something going wrong.  Let's say there is a surge or power outage and your system is not behind a UPS, there is a greater likelihood that your system could get damaged or corrupted.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

There is no minimum or maximum amount of times a computer should be restarted. Unless your computer is requesting that it be restarted or that it needs to reboot leaving your computer on without restarting will not harm the computer in anyway. In addition to restarting or rebooting the computer when prompted it's also a good troubleshooting step to restart your computer if it is experiencing issues that cannot be resolved. Often restarting the computer will fix many abnormal issues.

How often should I reboot or restart my computer?

...shutting down your computer every night offers a few advantages: it won’t draw as much power when it’s off, and it won’t wake you in the middle of the night with an unexpected alert. On the other hand, an always-running computer has the advantage of being able to handle tasks while you’re sleeping.

Pros and Cons of Shutting down your computer or leaving it on

...this soltion isn’t just limited to Windows computers, but applies to all types of computing devices. You’ll find the advice “try resetting it” applied to wireless routers, iPads, Android phones, and more. This same advice even applies to software — is Firefox acting slow and consuming a lot of memory? Try closing it and reopening it!

HTG Explains: Why Does Rebooting a Computer Fix So Many Problems?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

If Windows update is set to update automatically (the default), then it will update even without a logged on user.

But some updates also require a reboot. So when you leave your PC on 24/7 and stay logged on, you also have to reboot (best after updates, second Tuesday of the month).

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

If Windows update is set to update automatically (the default), then it will update even without a logged on user.

But some updates also require a reboot. So when you leave your PC on 24/7 and stay logged on, you also have to reboot (best after updates, second Tuesday of the month).

Thank you as good as quietman7's info is it still did not cover that aspect altho his 3rd link explained a lot.

Yours completes the picture so to speak.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

As far as security goes a computer which is on at any given time but not connected to the internet at that time is as secure as one which is turned off, computers which are permanently connected are perhaps a little less secure that those which are disconnected from the internet or turned off when not in use simple because the latter have a smaller time window in which bad things can happen. I personally take the view of turning off computers each night and turning them on again when I next need to use them. As far as lifetimes of hardware go I do not think there is significant difference between those of machines kept on permanently and those turned on and off daily, each course of action has some advantages and disadvantages to it which approximately cancel out to leave either course about as good I believe. As far as updates go, you don't have to leave a computer on overnight to deal with these, you can manually* check and install updates to the OS and to programs at any time you like, perhaps straight after turning on in the morning or just before turning off at night. For windows updates it is usually fine to just check on a tuesday evening/wednesday night, as that's when they are released.

*thesedays having updates for windows set to "check automatically but ask [you] whether [you] want to download" is very wise, given that:
A ) many of the present windows updates being released are unwelcome and many users will want to avoid certain ones
and
B ) updating manually lets you get updates within hours whereas automatic update is usually a few days behind (you just have to given yourself a reminder alarm).
Also in light of recent events with KB3139929 ms has been putting users in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. For other programs, browser/antivirus/... ,fully automatic updating is usually best.

Edited by rp88, 10 March 2016 - 08:44 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

For the last week I have been trying this leaveing the PC on but not logged in.

This worked for the first night but for no others.  A few hours of inactivity my ISP seems to close the connection.  I assume to free up band width for the overall network.

It could be argued that my PC is dropping the NIC but then I should be able to reestablish connection at my PC.  This it will not do no matter how many times I try.

Power cyceling the modem/router is the only way.  Since the modem/router is connected to the ISP by wire it pretty much has to be them closeing the connection.

So back to a limited user account I go.

Thanks for all the input.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

So back to a limited user account I go.

You have me a bit confused there.  What does a limited user account have to do with whether you leave you PC on 24/7?

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

For years many users have been told not to run in an admin level account even when attended and never unattended.

A limited user has no admin rights as long as it is password protected you should be able to run it so your system and programs can update if they auto update or update on a schedual. Your PC would have to be left running but no browser has to be running to get most updates, except for cloud based programs like Hitman Pro. Or as best I have been told.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users