Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

webmail or Firefox may be crashing my system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

I don't know if Firefox can do that but I have a Dell XPS desktop running Windows vista. Up until a few days ago, i had no problems. Then I had noticed that Firefox kept crashing. Sometimes that would accompany a system wide crash where I wouldn't get the BSOD but a blue screen that said that Windows was shutting down to protect the system. MacAffee did detect an issue and that was quarantined and I ran my My McAffee antivirus software afterwards and no infections were reported.

What I notice now is that my system occasionally crashes but mostly when Firefox is running and usually it reboots. I had used the Firefox reset tool and the problem persists. I have the most recent version of firefox installed.  I was just going to my address book in Optimum Webmail and the system crashed so I'm wondering if there is a connection between my online activity and these crashes.

I am trying to avoid reinstalling Windows from the Dell recovery disk as I would lose everything on my hard drive. I am not sure where the drivers are and would want to save them as I have saved all my data files on a thumb drive. 

I am going to call Optimum right now and have them troubleshoot my system to see if there is an issue with their software but the problem happens with Firefox too so I"m not sure what is happening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

I'm running Firefox 45 right now, and have been using it on a multitude of computers since version 3.  I've never seen it cause a crash.  I have it at home with Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10 and it's working just fine.  I don't know anything about Optimum Webmail.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Upon speaking with my ISP, they don't see an issue with Firefox or their service either and point to an issue with a Windows corruption or a hard drive sector being damaged.  I keep getting these "WIndows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" messages. I come back my computer and see it has rebooted. Interestingly, it appears to be running faster than it did before, which I don't understand. In short, it works great when it works and then it shuts down unexpectedly and Windows recovers.

I'm suspecting that I will have to re-install Windows and I've never done that before so I'm worried about finding my driver files for all drivers not on the Dell Recovery disk.  Also, I thought I had heard something about emulation programs that copy the whole disk. The problem, of course, is if there is a problem with Windows, the problem would be copied along with it.  I'm not sure if you can copy the programs with emulation software excluding Windows Vista. I would think not and that you have to re-install them but an not sure.

In any case, if forced to re-install, I will do so as soon as I get my taxes done as I need a computer until then. I'm afraid of screwing everything up.  If I do reinstall and get the system working again and it crashes, then, at least it tells me that there is a hard drive problem. Truthfully, it's getting time to buy a new computer as Vista can't be upgraded to Windows 10 and this is becoming old system  Computers make dogs appear to have longevity with their 14 average years. A computer is middle-aged in 3 years.

If I do re-install windows, I'm not sure where I go to download Windows Office Home Version. I have the license codes. Windows was installed by the retailer when the computer was purchased so I don't have a Windows Office disk. I'm assuming I can download Windows Office 200 7 from the Microsoft site and then apply the license codes when prompted.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:52 AM

If your hard drive has some bad sectors, you can usually fix that by right-clicking the C: drive, clicking Properties -> Tools, then Check.  It can run an hour or more and may require a reboot to start, so do it when you can spare the time.

Good luck.

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

Strange. I looked to follow your instructions and closed all programs but the error message I got was that Windows can't check while the c: drive is in use. Would I like to start the check when I reboot?  So I rebooted and got the same message.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

You must not have checked the box to tell it to run the check when you reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users