Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing SpyHunter's ability to detect malware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

I've tested SpyHunter's ability to detect malware and written up a post about it. Ten samples, all of which had 55 detections on VirusTotal, were tested against. It was able to prevent one out of the ten from launching and removed two out of the ten after a scan was run. The other seven were not detected. :(

https://medium.certly.io/an-objective-test-of-the-anti-spyware-application-spyhunter-b7d49f673a2f

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

Now we have a good review of SpyHunter, with samples that are available for download and testing. This has been asked for a long, long time, yet people siding with ESG never went forward with these kind of tests, nor did they share the samples. I guess I can understand why now.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

Thank you for doing the test but I really didn't need one to convince me.  BTW, you'd better look out.  You may be the next person to get a threatening letter from Enigma's lawyers.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

For an honest review of their product? If they slam ian with a SLAPP, it just proves our point that ESG relies to lawsuits whenever a bad review is posted against them and they trim to oppress the free speech right.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

For an honest review of their product?

Yes, they have done it before.  You may have missed this article from the main site.  When they threaten to sue, Enigma doesn't care whether the suit is justified or not.  The real intention behind the suit is to intimidate the person into removing any material that reflects badly on them.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

I didn't miss it. But now, what they are doing is completely exposed, out in the open and the public is aware of it. So if they slam ian with a SLAPP, it'll just confirm that everything we've said so far in our defence is true.

unite_blue.png

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

Well, it doesn't look like they care about the bad press.  Enigma has been suing people for ages.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Your test appears to confirm this 2014 Scanner Test by AVLab which ranked SpyHunter 4 at the very bottom, noting that it only detected (1) out of (1,000) samples.

SpyHunter turns to be the worst scanner. According to the producer, it protects against 1,116,643 threats, but in our test it detected only one sample.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 jerry6

jerry6

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Maybe there is fine print where they claim they DETEST , not DETECT all that malware , guess they would not be making false claims in that case

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

Maybe there is fine print where they claim they DETEST , not DETECT all that malware...

Not that I am aware of.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users