Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchscreen access has mysteriously disappeared after Win10 upgrade (from Win7)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rebecca2015

rebecca2015

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hi,

I upgraded to windows 10 yesterday and my computer appears to be running well except the fact that I no longer have touchscreen capability.  If anyone can help I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

Go to the support page for your particular make/model of computer and see if there are updated drivers for the touchscreen, even if those are Win8 drivers, and give those a try. If there are Win10 drivers then those are the ones to go with.

There have been a lot more problems with driver incompatibility on Win7-to-Win10 upgrades than Win8-to-Win10 upgrades. Good luck.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 rebecca2015

rebecca2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

there are no drivers for the touchscreen on the website.  I downloaded this

Device Name: USB Input Device Driver Date 2010-12-02 File Size: 26.25K Driver Version: 3.3.0.25 Vendor: Touch Screen Controller Supported OS:

Windows 10 32 & 64bit, Windows 8.1 32 & 64bit, Windows 7 32 & 64bit, Windows Vista 32 & 64bit, Windows XP

from here http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/gateway/laptops-desktops/zx6971/4873 BUT i have NO clue where to install it to/which driver to update because there is nothing in device manager that says touchscreen!

frustrated...I reverted back to windows 7 and its still not working...

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

The touchscreen itself is under HID devices, just like the mousepad and a number of other input devices.

Do not install drivers from third-party sources. Use only the driver at your manufacturer's website or the manufacturer of the touchscreen itself (if that is known/can be determined). If nothing is listed on the manufacturer's website then submit a support ticket asking where the correct driver can be located.

Did you take a system image before upgrading? If so you'd be wise to restore from that system image to see if the touchscreen works again. If it worked before the upgrade and you restore from a system image there is no reason it should not work again. Rollbacks are often a can of worms.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users