Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't upgrade ie9 to ie10 or ie11 on multiple computers

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 mrobillard

mrobillard

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hello, I'm getting error 9C59 when trying to upgrade ie9 on pretty much all the computers in my company weather vm or physical machine. I don't know why this is happening, I assume they were all installed from the same image and something is corrupted (they were set up before I got here).

I've tried pretty much everything I could find on error 9C59, but can't resolve the problem without formatting.

Please note that my machines are running Windows 7 PRO SP1 x64 french. They are connected to a WSUS server, but I removed the ones I tested with to have them update with windowsupdate servers in order to eliminate that problem.

Here is what I've tried.

Nothing has helped.

Here are the errors in the IE11_main.log:

ERROR:   Failed to extract a language pack for a non-english OS.
ERROR:   === FindResource (7128,"IE11-support.cab") failed with 0x717

ERROR:   Neutral package installation failed (exit code = 0x00000002 (2)).

INFO:    Process 'C:\Windows\SysNative\dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\Windows\TEMP\IE19CB1.tmp\IE11-neutral.Downloaded.cab /quiet /norestart' exited with exit code 0x00000002 (2)

ERROR:   Couldn't create setup troubleshooting shortcut on the desktop. HRESULT: 0x80070002,

I do get an error when I run the fixit:

diag.png

Here are the logs:

IE11_main.log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7894017/Ie11/IE11_main.log

CBS.log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7894017/Ie11/CBS.rar

CheckSUR.log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7894017/Ie11/CheckSUR.log

WindowsUpdate.log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7894017/Ie11/WindowsUpdate.log

dism.log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7894017/Ie11/dism.rar

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

Known error code when trying to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2872074

"Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 before you install Internet Explorer 11"

During the installation process of Internet Explorer 11, you may receive the 9C59 error.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Known error code when trying to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2872074

"Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 before you install Internet Explorer 11"

During the installation process of Internet Explorer 11, you may receive the 9C59 error.

Already tried that also, unfortunately it didn't work either. I can't uninstall ie9 even if I uninstall all ie9 patches first.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

If you can't uninstall Internet Explorer 9, I suggest you to work on fixing that issue first, since Microsoft's official reponse on that error code is that IE9 needs to be uninstalled first.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

I've tried options 1 and 2 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2579295 to uninstall internet explorer 9.

I get multiple access denied errors when running FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

I've tried with the domain admin and local admin in safe mode and get the same result:

accessdenied.png

There are also "Only package owner can remove package" errors in the cbs.log file which can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7894017/Ie11/CBS2.rar

onlypackage.png

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, 0x5 error are "Access denied" errors. Who's the owner of these packages in C:\Windows\servicing\Packages?

unite_blue.png

#7 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, 0x5 error are "Access denied" errors. Who's the owner of these packages in C:\Windows\servicing\Packages?

Système

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

Try to launch the command prompt with System rights, using PsExec, and see if you can run the command again.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

unite_blue.png

#9 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Try to launch the command prompt with System rights, using PsExec, and see if you can run the command again.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

tried from elevated command prompt: psexec -i -s FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

I get the same access denied message

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

Reset the file permissions on the system to their default, then try the PsExec method again.

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Boot in Safe Mode with Networking;
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Reset File Permissions;
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

unite_blue.png

#11 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

Tried the instructions above. The packages are now owned by local\administrators but I still get the same access denied errors including the "Only package owner can remove package" in cbs.log

I decided to go event further, I took a snapshot of the vm and changed the owner of the packages folder to the local admin and gave full control rights to the local admin, but I still get the same error. :( I then reverted to before the snapshot...

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

Alright, follow the instructions below please.

1. Download IE9-Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab.zip and save this to your desktop.
2. Right-click on the downloaded file and select Extract All...
3. Ensure "Show extracted files when complete" is checked and click the Extract button
4. You can close the window that opens.
5. Click the Start button and type cmd in the search box.
6. Right-click on the cmd that comes up in programs and select Run as administrator. Click Yes to allow if the User Account Control dialog comes up.
7. Copy/Paste the following into the command-prompt window that is open. Note: You need to right-click the mouse in the command-prompt window and select paste in order to paste. You can't use the keyboard shortcuts.

dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:%userprofile%\desktop\Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab\Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab

8. With any luck you will see something similar to the following which says it was successfull. Please let me know how it goes.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Package_for_KB2957689~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~
~6.1.1.0
[==========================100.0%==========================]
[B]The operation completed successfully[/B].
C:\Windows\system32>

unite_blue.png

#13 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

Unfortunately this gives me a file not found error. The path is correct but extracting the zip gives me a .cab folder, not a .cab file is this expected?

cab.png

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:23 AM

Sorry, the problem is a missing "IE9-" in the command I gave you. Try the following one instead:
dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:%userprofile%\desktop\IE9-Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab\IE9-Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab

unite_blue.png

#15 mrobillard

mrobillard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:03 AM

Sorry, the problem is a missing "IE9-" in the command I gave you. Try the following one instead:

dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:%userprofile%\desktop\IE9-Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab\IE9-Windows6.1-KB2957689-x64.cab

Duh, I should of noticed that too, I just double checked the number...

That completed successfully, should I try to uninstall again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users