Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LikeNEWPC Software Beta Release - Fix Disabled, Badly Infected & Slow Computers

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#16 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

LikeNEWPC is downloadable Windows repair software that runs from the cloud and fixes ALL types of computer Hardware & Software problems.

LikeNEWPC performs two separate steps with over 12 scanners and tools to thoroughly repair ALL Windows Computer problems.

To say it fixes ALL types of hardware problems is misleading.

If a hard drive dies, if the sound, graphics, Ethernet, networking, etc. ports (whether on board or separate cards) go bad, the program cannot fix those. These types of things are NOT Windows problems.

USB port, cd/dvr rom drive, SD card slot stopped working? It will not be able to fix those either.

So EXACTLY what hardware problems will it fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 BobWing

BobWing

Authorized LikeNew PC Repair Rep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

Queen-Evie,

Hummmmm.... You make a good point, this one really made me think. We may be guilty of assuming folks would understand that software cannot fix a burnt video card etc. We do however check states and roll back to get appropriate drivers, missing files etc. that may have been corrupted or deleted. We do fix a lot of the hardware issues that are not catastrophic failures by this method. I think we do need to clarify and change that message. Although I believe we do fix lots of hardware related symptoms, we do not fix catastrophically failed  devices.

I can tell you however most of what the local Geek group calls bad hard drives are either corrupt MBR, bad boot sector information, file errors or defects, disk geometry, missing files/components or other software related issues. Sometimes even the dreaded no boot device or disk boot failure can be boot sector related. I have fixed a lot of the supposed bad hard drives in my day. The only error message that you can go to the bank on as far as indicating a bad drive is the "not recognized" or "hard drive missing". All others are potentially recoverable.

#18 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

I've tested your program in virtual machine running Windows 7. I've placed a folder with 100 malware samples on my desktop. What I had left is unbootable machine. To be honest this doesn't work and make the matter worse for me.

I'll explain what happened:

First, I was greeted by a downloader, after downloading done, the tool told me that it will begin its file copying process that will take 5-10 minutes.

Next was a EULA, then an information screen, to sum up there's 3 main parts that looks strange to me.

• The tool said "These repairs are thorough and will take between 4-12 hours to complete." Why does it take so long running those tools you mentioned? (We will come back to this later)
  • The tool said it will remove "security programs that are causing slowness and conflict". I never saw any software that tries to remove existing security software forcefully.
  • The tool said I "MUST remove wireless mouse and keyboard". Again, never saw anything mentioned me that wireless peripherals isn't supported. (We will also come back to this later)

Then, after the copying done, the tools ask for a restart, and I was greeted by Windows Boot Manager window listing "Start LikeNewPC repairs..." as a default operating system. I believe this is the reason why you want me to disconnect wireless peripherals?

Next, the system booted into Windows 7 PE and the repairs started in full screen mode. (wondering if using Windows 7 like this is illegal or not) and it took a long time to finish, what it done here are listed as: connecting to internet > check fixed drive and boot > scan fixed drives for defects (basically CHKDSK /r, that's why it took so long time) > Backup (options are listed to backup my documents folder, selective, and no backup) > Restore system settings > Scan for viruses (Vipre scanner deployed here and removed 55 malware on my desktop, another reason for long time) > Remove USB/CD/DVD (from backup???)

At last, the program asked me to reboot, before the system rebooted the screen said "Sending Tech info". I believed that is told in EULA but I'm not sure.

When the machine restarted, it appears to boot into Safe mode with networking, but stuck into boot loop and machine became unbootable.

Seriously, this fix made my working machine worse. If you're kind please fix this or I will not consider this as a valid repair program. Another thing I found is when the virus scanning progress, it did scan the bootable media too, what's the point in that, just wasting time really. Also I'm not really sure what you're doing in Windows 7 PE since I can't get procexp or procmon in there (no browsers), if you can please clarify that a little bit too.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#19 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

I'm looking at this the way a person with no clue would. He/she has issues, does not know how to go about trying to figure out what may be wrong.

(We mostly do not know what the skill/knowledge level of a person is, so my approach is to use the "he/she has no clue" method when I am helping someone. Which is why I tend to look at things from their point of view)

They don't know if, for example, an issue with the hard drive is corrupt MBR, bad boot sector information, file errors or defects, disk geometry, missing files/components or other software related issues, or boot sector related.  They don't know that "not recognized" or "hard drive missing" is a sign of a bad drive.

Some of them use your program. It doesn't work because it is something that the program cannot fix. They think "it said it would fix ALL hardware problems, but it does not".  Result, they never use it again and maybe tell others to avoid it since it did not work.

Past experience with those types of people is that they will try ANYTHING (often not knowing if it is something that could be harmful) in an effort to solve it themselves so they do not have to pay someone else to do it.

By the way, while I agree that many "usable" computers could be repaired and donated, for the ones that cannot be repaired E-Cycle so they do not end up in a landfill.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 March 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#20 BobWing

BobWing

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Hi Sirwit,

We reviewed the data from your download and run. We have tested a thousand plus computers and have not had a boot loop in a while.  I have a couple of questions for you. It shows that step 1 only ran for an hour or so. Typically this takes about 2-4 hours. Did you stop any of the processes to continue forward faster? If so you could corrupt many things including the boot into step 2. Also you say it booted into safemode with networking... did you boot up to the connecting to network step? That means you would have uninstalled corrupt and incompatible programs also. Did you see that step? Or did it just boot loop?

In addition, step one just checks the hard disk and does a virus scan in our environment. None of the real removal work happens until step 2. We wish to remote in or have you check some things so that we can determine what happened. As I said we have not had boot loops without services being stopped during the running. Please email me contact information and I will have Harvey our software engineer contact you. www.likenewpcrepair@gmail.com.

#21 BobWing

BobWing

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

Thank you Queen-Evie,

Please keep looking. We will address as soon as possible the changes.

#22 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

I haven't done anything out of the software instructions. I know I skipped backup because I'm having a problem with virtualbox that I cannot connect a flashdrive in. Actually the step one is fast because my drive is virtually allocated, the size of disk is equal to total data stored and that means you don't have much thing to scan.

After the step 1 done, the machine restarted, and I was informed by windows that it's booting into "Minimal mode with networking" and go back to POST screen again and stuck in a boot loop. Seriously, how could you remote into a machine that can't even boot? Don't tell me you gonna remote into my host machine since I won't allowed you to do so.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#23 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

I don't want to sound negative but if people would simply create full disk images on a regular basis tools like this would not be needed. The public needs to be educated on this but unfortunately I would say 90% or the people you ask would not know what a disk image is.

#24 BobWing

BobWing

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hi Sirwit,

Just realized you ran this on a virtual machine. Our product was designed for end users to be ran on stand alone computers and cannot be ran as a virtual software package. It interacts with all of the devices peripherals etc. We are working at a low system level so it cant be executed in a virtual machine. A virtual machine does not have access to devices and other system/OS resources in the same way that running it in a non virtual mode.

We have to let people know NOT to test it in a virtual machine. If you contact us we will walk you through repairs over the phone. Sorry we had not considered someone using a virtual machine. We will post a warning. Please try again on a badly infected, disabled or slow computer.

#25 BobWing

BobWing

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

Hi Queen-Evie,

We have been looking at site changes to address the problem you identified. Got a bit of a quandary as we do actually fix many of the software created hardware issues. We do fix many different types of both hardware and software symptoms. Any suggestions on how to define to the end user better. "All" is not right for sure but "many" of the hardware problems would be the same message. Do you like the terminology "Fixes ALL types of Hardware & Software symptoms"? or Our software fixes many Hardware & Software problems. Once again the unskilled end user might not understand. This seems like a simple fix but it really isn't. Because we do a multitude of repair types from one product its hard to get that message across. Any thoughts?

#26 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

While I am not skilled enough to test your services. I did go look at your website a good bit.

When the page first opens there is a blank pop up screen about 2 inches square in the middle of the page with nothing to close it out.

However if you click anywhere else on the page that goes away and you can browse the page and follow links to other pages.

This may not happen to everyone but it did happen to me on this pc.

Thought yall may want to know.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#27 BobWing

BobWing

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Hi dannyboy950,

Not sure why you have popups on the website as we don't have any in the product web pages. We will watch that closely to see if we can figure out what that was. I would however like to extend an invitation to walk you through repairing a computer so that you can see how our product works. We tried to design likenewPC to work for beginners and those not as computer savvy. Your insights would be invaluable if you have the time to help.

#28 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for answering all the questions today.

I have some more for you :)

1. I see you are including Rkill. You said you asked for permission to use all the bundled tools, yet noone ever contacted me for permission. Also you are linking to majorgeeks for many of your programs rather than the developers products. These include rkill, RogueKiller and AdwCleaner.

2. Why are you install VNC?

3. I see you are downloading and utilizing tools from Avast, Symantec, Mcafee, kaspersky, etc... You received permisson from all of these companies?

4. I noticed your program sends alot of data back to your company. What is this for?

5. Some spelling mistakes in the EULA.

#29 BobWing

BobWing

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

Hi Grinler,

Thank you for your help and support and that of your forum users. You all can be fairly tough on a guy. :) The input has been immeasurable help.

As for permission, I sent you correspondence 1 to 11/2 years ago in our beginnings under the email broncobob7 or  pcpinpointtechnologies@gmail.com. I will locate and provide. Basically, we asked if it was ok to have our end users use Rkill. Obviously the product was not fully developed and how we ended up using Rkill was not defined. Its basically being used to stop bad processes so we can attack bugs. We designed the product fully configurable so we can replace if we have offended you in any way. Our intent is to fix consumers computers and promote our partners in a win win situation.

As for Tigzy and the other folks you have mentioned most of them provided cmd line switches etc. and have given the ok to use after purchasing a premium license etc. We tried to use JRT and ADW cleaner interchangeably but could not reach agreement with JRT. ADW was not very reachable.. I feel we had their ok but no contracts. We will change the links to direct download from the developers sites. That was an oversight.

As for the other folks we mostly have agreements to pass them potential customers. The big guys you mentioned we are just using their uninstallers to remove conflicting security programs. None of them have shared any concerns with us initially. If we release and make money that may change. Quite honestly you can tell who didn't want to deal by those products we don't use. As you may have noticed we instruct the users to get their license keys in case we have to remove conflicting programs or send them to the tools page for our partners products to ensure they are protected.

VNC is currently not being used. It will be used in the future for a monitoring type application. If you want further details I would be glad to discuss with you over the phone. Its kinda kool and we may want to patent it.

The data is strictly computer data for run times, timeouts, Error logs, computer id, what we removed or repaired, etc. It does run from the cloud so we download the individual programs as needed as to not burden a sick computer. We use this data to understand what programs are running, are they finishing, etc. to better provide solutions to customers. For instance if we see xyz program is not finishing at an increased percentage we can find out what bug or issue is hanging it, etc. Hopefully over time this will be our first line of defense to understand a new virus or conflict, etc.

EULA will be updated.... rookie mistake.

You can contact me by email at likenewpcrepair@gmail.com. We can discuss your thoughts and direction. Again, your site rocks and we are humbled by the astute finds by your members. As Harvey my developer says "The only butt worth kicking is your own". We take all advice as opportunity to improve.

Thank you!

#30 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

I am tempted to try your service, if it can even do half of what you claim on this piece of junk you will really be doing something. lol

The only thing is I do not think you can.  I know my knowledge is old and out of date but hardware is still hardware. A physical device if something goes wrong you almost always have to physicaly replace or repair it. You have to have it in your hand. You may be able to rewrite firm ware remotely but not unplug and repair a circuit board component.

I am in Port Arthur Texas [one foot in the Gulf of Mexico] you are in Colorado.  Shipping alone would be prohibitive.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users