Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sorry, RAM upgrade question, but genuinely confused...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ftngrave

ftngrave

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:00 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 5755 laptop with an AMD A6-7310 processor.

CPU-Z software tells me that I'm running as a single channel with 4 GB of RAM, but this software at least confirms for me that I am running DDR3 RAM currently.

I also then confirmed researching the internet that DDR3L is backward compatible with DDR3 in case my system doesn't support the lower voltage.

The system scan at uk.crucial.com tells me that I have two slots for RAM, with a maximum capacity of 16GB.

Also upon researching the internet, it seems that if your computer supports DDR3 for example, then your system should support various speeds and Cas latencies-1600, 2133, Cas latency 9, 11, etc.

Ok great.  So I chose this RAM for purchase to upgrade my system best I can:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 2133 (PC3L 17000) Laptop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GRSL (Cas Latency 11)

But then I decided to check out info on my AMD A6-7310 processor.  At notebookcheck.net, it says that this processor integrates "a single-channel DDR3L-1600 memory controller...[and that the] The top model A8-7410 of Carrizo-L in comparison clocks 100 MHz higher and supports DDR3L-1866."

Is a single channel memory controller different than the number of RAM slots you have?  Why does it say the memory controller is DDR3L-1600 and a different processor model supports 1866?  I thought RAM compatibility had to do with your motherboard, and nothing to do with your processor.  Do these specs for "memory controller" mean something else or directly relate to type of RAM?

Anyway, more simply put: Can I put the G. Skill 2133 DDR3L RAM in this laptop or should I get 2x8GB sticks that are 1600 speed as this is perhaps the maximum speed this laptop can handle? 

And I'm hoping I have two slots as the crucial scan told me and "a single channel memory controller" means something different than number of RAM slots?

I tried the internet for figuring out how to upgrade my RAM but was unsuccessful.  Thanks very much for anyone who can clear up this issue for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:30 AM

Hi,

Please post the Service Tag of the machine.

Is a single channel memory controller different than the number of RAM slots you have?

Yes. On single channel the number of slots you use doesn't matter.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ftngrave

ftngrave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

Hi, thanks for replying.  My service tag is HR6B162.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:47 AM

Presently you have this?

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 4GB, 1600, 1RX8, 4G, DDR3L, S

According to the manual: http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17-5755-laptop_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

Memory Slot: Two SODIMM slots
Type: DDR3L
Speed: 1600 MHz
Configurations supported: 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB

Based on this I don't think you can use the  G. Skill 2133 DDR3L

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

If you click on the SPD tab in CPU-Z you can see the manufacturer and part number.

Since this computer is capable of running in dual channel you will want to purchase the same module listed in the part number.  You can Google this number to find a vendor for the module.  This will provide you with a matched pair of modules which will work in this computer.

cpuid_zpswvz38bdt.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users