Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to install a video card to optimize my system. Which one? Thanks.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:52 AM

I want to install a new graphics card into my Dell XPS 8900 that I can essentially just plug in and play.  Something that will push my system (given to me) to it's limits, but without putting too much of a strain on it.   Also I would like to know if this card will allow me to play new games or not and whatever the capabilities may be if I were to install it.  My systems details are below and thanks!  PS:  I've been looking at the PNY Overclocked GTX 750 TI 2GB and am just wondering if a higher tier card would be compatible and would be worth investing in.  My specs are below and thanks!

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 3.40GHz 24 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0XJ8C4 (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
LCD TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (Dell) 34 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2016 - 12:48 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

What is CPU exact model (CPU-Z) and power supply?

750Ti, while cheap, is using Kepler architechture and is not getting proper driver support anymore. For next price range R9 380 is best choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150732

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

Please download and run Speccy, and publish a snapshot. Post the link to the speech snapshot in your next reply.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

Please download and run Speccy, and publish a snapshot. Post the link to the speech snapshot in your next reply.

Thanks Scath,

I published a snapshot, and thanks again.  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/d2StsZqNGY6MuBRtFsnuHWC

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

Alright so doing some detective work from the Speccy result on the CPU implies your CPU is the Intel Core i7-6700 (Skylake arch). That is a very decent CPU and should serve you for quite some time.

Now I must ask, what is your upgrade budget? Your CPU is certainly not going to bottleneck anything short of a 4-way crossfire/SLI setup. I could name any high end card out there XD

Afterthought: Your CPU may not be a limiting factor, but the PSU might. Let me find out what kind of junk Dell puts in their machines these days...

!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!
So I did some searching and it seems that your machine only has a 460W PSU. Putting a higher end card in there means that things might get a bit dicey, as high end cards draw more power and OEMs like Dell tend to use El Cheapo PSUs from unreliable brands. I Strongly recommend upgrading you PSU if you want to put in a new graphics card.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 15 March 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#6 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

Thanks Scath.

Not the news I was hoping for, but glad you chimed in to deliver the jist of this thing.

#7 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Scath.

Not the news I was hoping for, but glad you chimed in to deliver the jist of this thing.

I didn't like delivering it, but better you found out now than after buying a shiny new GPU and the PC not starting or worse. Please reply regarding the budget, as it will dictate our next move.

#8 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Scath.

I didn't like delivering it, but better you found out now than after buying a shiny new GPU and the PC not starting or worse. Please reply regarding the budget, as it will dictate our next move.

As far as purchasing a new GPU, I would like to work with what I currently have in terms of the power supply, get the most bang for my buck, and still have peace of mind knowing my set up isn't going to take a dump, overheat etc...  I'd like to pretty much safely optimize my computer safely without installing anything but a GPU.  Not looking to dump $500 into it, but the computer was free, so I'm not overly concerned with the cost of a GPU.  But I would like to know if installing a new GPU (working with a 460W. PSU and my systems specs) would allow me to play new games on par or exceeding the standards / quality of my PS4.

Thanks.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

play new games on par or exceeding the standards / quality of my PS4.

Honestly you should be able to do that with your current setup - this generation of consoles is using hardware that was obsolete when they were released. If you really don't want to replace the PSU then I will try to come up with something, but keep in mind that PSUs - especially cheap ones - loose some of their capacity as they age.

#10 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

Thanks. 

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

So some good new is in order first :)
PCPartPicker estimates your computer without a graphics card draws ~170W (I added 4 fans to be on the safe side - it might be less draw if you have fewer fans)
That leaves ~290W of headroom for a GPU. You should thus have plenty of options. Let me check wattage usage and I will get back to you.

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Here's one suggestion for the high end if the field: R9 380. That is the most power hungry card I would recommend in your situation. If you don't need all that power, you could step down to a 370. Or if you are a diehard NVidia fanboi you could go with a 960 or 970.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Or you could wait for later this year when new gpu architectures are being released by nvidia and amd.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

Or you could wait for later this year when new gpu architectures are being released by nvidia and amd.

Very true. Can't believe I forgot to mention that XP

NVidia's next line should be any month now according to the rumor mill, and AMD's Polaris line looks like it will be one to watch for.

#15 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

Very true. Can't believe I forgot to mention that XP

NVidia's next line should be any month now according to the rumor mill, and AMD's Polaris line looks like it will be one to watch for.

I think I will wait and see if buying from the new line is a good idea or if I may get a better deal on something from from the current line-up.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users