Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OMG: orig. of "I'm sure MiniThunderPlatform.exe has destroyed.." ... (my head)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OLiveX

OLiveX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:36 AM

This has been driving me crazy for weeks now - I usually can detect a source for my problem through a few hrs (sometimes days) of research, trial and error...  and NOW I think I've narrowed down the extremely unpredictable, erratic behaviour my laptop has been exhibiting.. various seemingly unrelated problems which I now am pretty convinced are due to this vicious malware (or virus?) which seems to have entered with one of the programs I downloaded (after first researching reliable sources for good free driver updates... now wishing I'd listened to the  if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it  voice.... since NOW I'm dealing with having to replace not only many of my drivers, but have wasted time using up restore points and unnecessary repairs that were beyond fixing.  I'd read positive reviews about Driver Talent as a good reliable freeware tool for updating drivers, and I only just discovered this unusual Thunder(exe) lurking in the folder containing the Driver program... and after much googling, learned it is only one of many variations of (the word) thunder which is being used to worm their way in with different programs *(usually free) that people are downloading from trusted sources.  I ran numerous virus, spyware, malware, rootkit, etc detectors, to no avail... and after Emsisoft's scan was clean, I went to their site to read the massive list of malwares people had found, and was surprised to see the culprit *(many variations of "Thunder") listed there....   I've spent hours reading up on how to remove it (although I can't understand why their program doesn't clean it out, since they are apparently aware it's dangerous); now I can't figure out how to submit it on their forum since they don't have a place for me to join... or maybe I was just too tired and going blind from all the weird stuff happening on my screen (mostly due to the hijacking of my keyboard/mouse by this Thunder-villain ...   SO... now I've come here to my favorite source for reading tech-material ... and finally decided to join the bleeping forum, despite the difficulty I'm having with typing, due to the breakdown of most of my hardware and drivers from this pesky takeover (first time for me in 3 decades of computering!)...  I will await word on what steps to take ... hopefully with minimal effort (an easy removal tool perhaps?)... since every click or keystroke is so terribly tedious now.. using onscreen keyboard and an external mouse, propped in my bed (recovering from surgeries, etc), with all my books, papers, and laptop sliding all over, as I struggle to see with outdated glasses, having crushed my good ones, and lost my contacts... probably due to trying to aim for my wheelchair and landing on the floor... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

G'day OliveX, and Welcome to BC.

Driver finders/improvers .....whatever......are basically snake oil.....the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it  voice, usually speaks with quite some wisdom/experience.

Having said that, I note that you posted on the 9th of March....what is the current status of your laptop....better, worse.....thrown in the bin...??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users