Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing CPU with identical CPU problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LenovoUser

LenovoUser

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hi everyone,

For the past few years I've been using an Intel Confidential i7-3770k CPU that was loaned to me by a family member that works at Intel but the time has come for me to sell the whole rig. I bought a used 3770k off of eBay to put into my computer in order to sell it because I can't sell my Intel Confidential processor.

Once I installed the new 3770k various programs and games that had worked just fine with my original processor started crashing or failing to start. My frame rates in most of my games stayed fixed between 55-60 and gave strange performance issues. For example, things would fail to render in battlefield 4. This seemed to be much worse when using SLI with my gtx 970s and not as bad when using a single one. This was all on stock BIOS settings. No overclocking.

Fearing that there was a problem with the used 3770k that I bought, I put back in my Intel Confidential 3770k and all the problems disappeared. I got 150-200 fps in battlefield again and programs ran quickly without crashing.

Did I buy a broken 3770k or is there something I just don't know about swapping a CPU with an identical CPU? Any help is appreciated before I contact the eBay seller and claim he sold me a defective product.

Here is a Speccy link for my computer: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oCUpAJu0zhtGS4NFIlMzIDh

Thanks

Edited by LenovoUser, 09 March 2016 - 03:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:49 AM

There should be no problems & no BIOS/Motherboard setting/software changes when changing a CPU for an identical one. There are no hidden tricks & Windows (if used) should remain activated.

If motherboard settings are on their default settings (which generally are "auto" for most things) & you change to a different (but compatible with the motherboard) CPU then most motherboards will adjust themselves automatically to the new CPU settings without any BIOS adjustments or jumper changes, Windows should remain activated & the only effect on software should limited to those caused by the CPU speed or feature changes.

Edited by rqt, 09 March 2016 - 03:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users