I purchased my first computer 20 years ago and I was hacked for the very first time several days ago. Someone, somehow had gotten access to my PayPal account and helped themselves to a total of $149 over a period of three days. I immediately opened a dispute with PayPal for unauthorized transactions and changed my password. The question is how did they get in and what can I do to prevent them from getting in again? This is a list of measures I had taken prior to the hacking:
1. Created a strong Password
2. Always (without exception) log on directly from PayPal's official site
3. Recognize phishing scams and don't open these email attachments
4. Run McAfee AV with real time Internet monitoring and update regularly
5. Use Firefox browser and update regularly
I'm running Windows 8 on a personal computer that nobody else has access to. I also don't have or use a tablet, smartphone or any other wireless devices other than the most basic cell phone service .
Thank you ahead of time for any advice or suggestions.