Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows upgraded me to 10 without any permission.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

ok i was using my pc as normal one day, my envy. I left it on to go get a quick shower and when i come back it upgraded to 10. LIKE WHAT THE HECK. ok sorry but why does it do this. For all they know i could have been writing a 20 page essay. (I was just looking stuff up). LIKE WHY. I kinda understand the emails and notifications that encorage u to but just doing it without permition is crossing the **** line. 

But why??????

Edited by superking75, 08 March 2016 - 03:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

By the way i have a tablet with 32gb of space and olny 4gb free at the moment, it has auro updates off but has 10 been downloaded to it, or is their a way to know and delete it?

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:08 PM

32GB Tablet, Acer aspire

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Notebook

Installation Date: 7/19/2011 4:58:22 P

Hp Envy

Operating System

Windows 8.1 64-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 1/2/2015 7:45:16 PM

when did the update to Windows 10 happen on the hp envy  ?

Your Acre aspire still runs Win 7

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

ok i was using my pc as normal one day, my envy. I left it on to go get a quick shower and when i come back it upgraded to 10. LIKE WHAT THE HECK. ok sorry but why does it do this. For all they know i could have been writing a 20 page essay. (I was just looking stuff up). LIKE WHY. I kinda understand the emails and notifications that encorage u to but just doing it without permition is crossing the **** line. 

But why??????

You do know that to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it is an interactive process? There are many screens that require a human being to input information and answer questions. This could NEVER happen without human interaction, it is simply impossible.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

Post#4 I'm not so sure about it being impossible, but so far there have been many rumours of it yet no absolute proof. It would be helpful, superking75, to have more detals about what happened, precisely. Can you explain in greater detail what you were doing before you left the computer, and precisely what was showing when you got back. As for fxing this, did you ever make system images before ths problem occured? what about manufacturer's recovery media, ever make that? As it is windows 10 might still, I assume this unwelcome (though we would like more details on the exact sequence of events to see if it really did do it all entirely automatically)upgrade took place less than a month ago, have the ability to revert to your previous OS from optosn to eb found within control panel and saved files from your preous windows installation stored in a folder on the hard-drive. As long as you haven't done any kind of disk cleanup since the upgrade the folder should still be there and returning to your old OS should be possible without the need for system images.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

As I indicated, the reason it is impossible is because it is an interactive event. There are simply to many screens that require the user to input information. There have been reports that it has happened, but when the facts come to light it has never happened.

Yes, it is impossible. At the first screen that requires human input, the process would stop. The screen would stay right there for days on end until a human being answered the question and inputted the data.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Bully75

Bully75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

seems to be the thing now, I have had customers with the latest screen, ie : upgrade now - upgrade later : reschedule.

apparently if that screen pops up and is left for about 30mins, windows 10 will start installing,

this was a day after windows10wiwi was run on the computer also :-(

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

As I recall, you have 30 days to revert to the previous OS.
Have you given that a try? (Settings...Update and Security...Recovery...Go Back to...)

FWIW - backup all of your stuff first, just in case the revert isn't successful.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

An upgrade wouldn't take place that fast - unless you take showers that are about a hour or more long.  On a tablet that would be several hours - mine took about two hours. 

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

seems to be the thing now, I have had customers with the latest screen, ie : upgrade now - upgrade later : reschedule.

apparently if that screen pops up and is left for about 30mins, windows 10 will start installing,

this was a day after windows10wiwi was run on the computer also :-(

What is a Windows 10wiwi. I looked this up all over the place and I could find no reference to a wiwi for Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

http://win10wiwi.com/

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

An upgrade wouldn't take place that fast - unless you take showers that are about a hour or more long.  On a tablet that would be several hours - mine took about two hours. 

It can be done in under 2 hours. I have my portable Windows 10 ISO which I use to install Windows 10 on different people's laptops and desktops, and about 2 hours or so is normal. This fellow took a real quick shower, so I am thinking he was probably in about 2 hours. And if he has a cat, it is possible that the cat answered all of the questions for him while he was in the shower. 

The whole thing sounds plausible.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

Thanks. I actually Googled it this morning and I came up dry.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

It's entirely possible. Somebody may have hit the site and Google's crawler picked it up.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

It's entirely possible. Somebody may have hit the site and Google's crawler picked it up.

I'm not going to ask what that means, it was totally Greek to me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users