Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with partitions and installing windows 7 on SSD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 craygray

craygray

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

I have a lenovo y500. In the past i was dual booting linux mint and windows 7 from a 128gb m2 ssd. I then got tired of mint and changed it so that only windows 7 would boot and just left the partitions.

Recently i was hit with a virus and need to wipe the ssd and reinstall windows 7. I made a windows 7 usb and booted from it no problem. Got to the partitions page, deleted all the partitions and clicked next only to get an error (attempting to install again now to see error but it just seems to be stalling now rather than showing error)

I then thought that it was just a failing of windows installer and so made a gparted usb and deleted all the partitions and created a new gpt table. Booted back into windows installer and the partitions are still there even though gparted clearly showed them gone even after refreshing the drives. I deleted them again and clicked next on unallocated space and now it just shows the spinning cursor and doesn't go anywhere.

Edit: managed to get to install screen but it remained on 0% and gave the following error eventually saying it couodnt format a partition: 0x80070057

I just want to wipe the drive clean and install windows 7. What is my best choice for a simple bootable USB that can wipe the drive partitions and allow me to start fresh?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

Worth a read, IMO:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y500-Windows-7-Downgrade-Guide/td-p/1022543 .

Louis

#3 craygray

craygray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

This is how I initially made the SSD the boot drive when I purchased the laptop. The problem I have now is different. My problem (I think) stems from the windows 7 installer not being able to deal with the old linux partitions. So I need a method to wipe the drive completely of all partitions. A method that uses a bootable usb stick since I don't have access to the OS on the laptop because of the virus.

So is there a way for me to use a USB bootable program/OS that allows me to wipe everything off the SSD including all partitions and then reformat the drive so that the windows 7 installer can take over? The only thing I've come across so far that won't damage the SSD (like DBAN) is parted magic which has a secure erase function, but this is paid software and I'd rather use a free tool.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

Minitool Partition Wizard can delete all the partitions.  There is a bootable (ISO) version which you can either burn to a live CD or make a live USB.  Scroll down near the end of this page and download "Partition Wizard Bootable CD Free Edition".  Once you delete all existing partitions, everything becomes unallocated space.  You do not have to reformat.

Edited by Agouti, 08 March 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#5 craygray

craygray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Minitool Partition Wizard can delete all the partitions.  There is a bootable (ISO) version which you can either burn to a live CD or make a live USB.  Scroll down near the end of this page and download "Partition Wizard Bootable CD Free Edition".  Once you delete all existing partitions, everything becomes unallocated space.  You do not have to reformat.

Thank you. So will I have the same problem as I did with gparted? I used a live gparted usb and deleted all the partitions and created a new partition table but once I booted into windows 7 installer all the partitions had come back... I've used gparted before and I know that I did everything correctly. The only error I got from gparted was when I tried to reformat the unallocated space as a NTFS partition.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

I don't know what happened with Gparted.  From what I remember with Gparted, the changes you make are not applied until you hit Apply.  It's the same with Minitool Partition Wizard.

#7 craygray

craygray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

I don't know what happened with Gparted.  From what I remember with Gparted, the changes you make are not applied until you hit Apply.  It's the same with Minitool Partition Wizard.

This is what I did and the process completed without error. Very strange. Will get back with results using minitool. Cheers

#8 craygray

craygray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:48 AM

Minitiool didn't work either. The partitions came back in the windows 7 installer. Must be some issues with the ssd controller not recognizing the commands or something similar. Ended up forking out on parted magic which is an amazing bit of software. Managed to boot onto it no problem and use the drive erase feature to wipe the entire drive safely. Thanks for the help anyway guys

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

I am sorry Partition Wizard didn't work.  I had a looked at Parted Magic (i.e. the last free version) some time ago but I can't say I'm very familiar with it.  I may be wrong, but AFAIK, all the tools in Parted Magic are free.  What the developer did was assembled the tools into a functional live Linux CD/USB image.  Anyway, I'm glad you solved your problem.  Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users