Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot after power outage

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alilujah

alilujah

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hello,

My Mom's Dell desktop computer with Windows 10 installed won't boot after a power outage. When turned on it goes to the Dell logo screen and says "Diagnosing your PC" then it goes to an "Automatic Repair" screen that says "restart" and "advanced options"  choosing "restart" just starts the whole diagnosing your computer process again. and nothing she tried in the "advanced options" menu worked either. No matter what we try we're back to square one. She doesn't have any discs or a USB for repair at this time. I don't think anything was backed up either, but at this point she just wants to be able to use her computer again so saving her files would be nice but it's not necessary if we have to reinstall the OS. I was just hoping I could get step by step instructions on what to do and how to help her?

I hope I gave enough information. Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

The easiest way would be to get recovery media from Dell.

But, if the system was already activated online, you can try this:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Read the section on "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?"

Further down the page is a link to download the Media Creation Tool and how to use it.

Also, when you first start the installation, you will be able to access the different recovery/repair tools.
You may want to try System Restore first,

If that doesn't work, then try the RESET with the Keep My Files option

If that doesn't work, then you can try the RESET with the Remove Everything option (backup your stuff first as this wipes everything out).

Edited by usasma, 08 March 2016 - 10:05 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

thanks for the help!

I'm not sure how to backup her stuff, and from what I read it looks a little advanced for me, I don't have a CD drive on a working computer but I do have a USB. I'm willing to give it a shot but if I can't do a backup, it will just be like starting from scratch right? Thanks again!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:19 AM

You can backup the stuff by using a bootable USB drive with a "live" OS on it and a USB external hard drive.

This link shows some Live OS's on CD and USB.

Find one that you're comfortable with - all it has to do is copy the Users folder from the computer to the USB external drive

And then, when installing Windows it will be like doing it from scratch.

If you do the Dell recovery media route, it'll have all the bundled Dell stuff

If you do the media creation tool route, it'll have very minimal features but will be workable.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Thank you!

I don't see the link showing the live OS's. So I'll need an external hard drive?

#6 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

Oh and also I see I'll need a product key but the computer had windows 8 and my mom upgraded a while ago for free. I'm wondering if I'll still need one since I'm doing a recovery.

#7 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

I have an update. I had my mom run a diagnostics test from the boot manager screen and the error code 0142 came up which from what I'm reading, indicates a hard drive failure. Now what do I do?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

You can check the W10 activation by opening a command prompt and typing "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes)

Unfortunately, you'll have to be in W10 to do this.

A window will pop up that states the system was "permanently activated" - that means that it's activated on Microsoft's servers.

If it's been activated on Microsoft's servers (which the above command will tell you), then you won't need a product key.

So, when installing you can skip the first prompt for a product key, and at the second prompt you can tell it to "do it later".

Then, when you get in Windows (as long as you're connected to the internet), the system will check with Microsoft's servers and will automatically activate (if it's already been activated on the Microsoft servers)

If this were my system (and since you're wiping it clean), I'd proceed as if it's permanently activated.

Worst case is that it won't activate, and there are other ways around this.

For example, you can use your W8 product key to activate later versions of W10 - so that's an option

Or you can install and activate W8, then do the upgrade to W10 in order to get it activated.

#9 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

Thanks, I had my mom run a diagnostics test from the boot manager menu and it showed the error code 0142 and I read that indicates a hard drive failure. not sure if I should proceed with the reinstalling of the OS?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

No sense in installing Windows on a dead/dying hard drive - you'll just have to do it again when the drive dies for good.

Replacing a hard drive is fairly easy, and if you have recovery media you can do it all in one session.

If you don't have recovery media, you can get it from Dell:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#dell

#11 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

I really appreciate all your help!

I'm still kinda lost on what to do. What is recovery media? Would I still have to reinstall the OS? Sorry! I'm a newb

Are you able to provide me with detailed step by step instructions on how to go about what I need to do to get the computer up and running?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

Recovery media is DVD's or USB flash drive that contains the files needed to reinstall Windows correctly on your system.

You can get the free version from this link:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (use the "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" instructions)

Or, you can use the link to get recovery media from Dell that I posted earlier.

As for step-by-step instructions...

Can you open the case?  Can you find the hard drive?

#13 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Thanks.

I haven't gotten a chance to even look at the tower to check the hard drive. I'm communicating with my mom through text. I've located hard drives on laptops before but not a desktop. I could find a youtube video about replacing one I guess. I think I'm just confused about the recovery media and the OS and all that lol. I don't even know if I have a USB that has enough space lol.

#14 alilujah

alilujah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

and figuring out how to back up her info so she doesn't lose it looks confusing to me

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

Most Dell's have a green plastic caddy.

You squeeze the tabs together and it slides out.

You bend it a bit and the hard drive pops out of the green caddy.

In most other cases, the hard drive is held in with 4 screws - either 2 on each side, or 4 on the bottom

Don't forget the SATA connector and the power connector - they have to be unplugged also.

A Desktop hard drive is generally 3.5" wide - where a Laptop drive is usually 2.5" wide

Screws are usually the same - 2 in either side, or 4 on the bottom.

Easiest way to backup is to use a USB "caddy".  You plug the drive into the caddy and a power source, then you plug the USB end into a working computer.

You copy over the Users directory and that'll copy most all data.  Be sure to ask her what she really wants to save.

You'll also need a place to put it - since you may not want to store all of your mom's stuff on the system that you're using to recover it.

An external USB drive is relatively cheap - and then you can teach her how to do backups on her own also!

Finally, FYI, the more that you use a dead/dying hard drive, the more likely it is that you wont' be able to backup anything from it (that it'll die completely).

So treat your first try as your only try - and grab everything that you can.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users