Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network cable unplugged

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

For more than a year, I have been unable to connect a router to my computer using an ethernet cable because when I look at the state of the cable network adapter it reports "Network cable unplugged".

The cable isn't unplugged and I have tried four different cables, but Windows still reports that the cable is unplugged. I have also tried connecting to two different routers with the same outcome. So the problem seems to be with the computer (HP desktop). When I look at the state of the cable network adapter (Realtek PCIe) it reports "This device is working properly". I have found this matter reported on several sites on the internet but no clear solution has emerged. It could be a problem with the socket attached to the adapter card but I would like to eliminate problems with settings or software before trying hardware changes.

Other things I have done:

Disabled the wireless adapter - does not solve the ethernet problem.

Updated the ethernet adapter driver - doesn't solve the problem.

Fiddled with advanced properties of ethernet adapter - "Speed & Duplex", for example. (There are about twenty five of these properties) - again not found a solution.

Does anyone know of a possible solution to this?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 March 2016 - 11:41 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

For more than a year, I have been unable to connect a router to my computer using an ethernet cable because when I look at the state of the cable network adapter it reports "Network cable unplugged".
The cable isn't unplugged

Has this been confirmed by going to Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center when you connect to the router with an Ethernet cable?

Click Change adapter settings on the left side.

Under Ethernet, does it say Network cable unplugged?

If it does, right click on Ethernet and click Enable.

If it does say enabled something else is going on but I have no clue what else could be wrong. I'm just mentioning this because, while it is possible you have already checked, you did not include it in the things you have tried.

Check to see if Local Area Connection for your network adapter is enabled. If not, RIGHT click on the adapter, enable it, see if the resolves the issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 March 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#3 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

Thank you for your comments. However, the ethernet adapter is enabled but beneath the words "Local Area Connection" is written "Network cable unplugged". Right clicking on it only presents the option to disable as it is already enabled.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

Have you tried another person's cable on this computer?  Have you tried the suspect cable on another person's computer?  I'm wondering if the cable itself has a tiny break in it.

Addendum:  I did not see the earlier post indicating thread starter tried 4 different cables!  My bad!

Edited by RolandJS, 08 March 2016 - 12:21 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

I have tried four different cables, but Windows still reports that the cable is unplugged.

The only other thing I can think of for you to try is this: which may or may not work. You can decide if it is worth a shot to do.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Open Device Manager from the left side of the page.

Expand Network Adapters.

RIGHT click on Realtek PCIe.  Choose UNINSTALL.

Check Delete the driver software for this device.

After it is uninstalled, reboot your computer and go to your desktop.

WIndows should see Realtek PCIe as new hardware and install generic WIndows drivers for it. 

You will be notified that Windows has found new hardware and installing it via a small notification in the system tray. It will also tell you when the install is complete (or if something went wrong and it could not be installed).

It is possible that it could be a problem with the socket attached to the adapter card or some other problem with it.

At this point I will assume you are using on-board networking. If this is the case and if the on-board Ethernet has gone south, the easiest and most cost effective solutions would be

1) purchase an Ethernet  card and install it in your computer if there are expansion slots available. You can find out by looking at the back of the case, on the bottom. If you see metal plates covering some spots at the bottom, you have those expansion slots.

2) purchase a USB wireless adapter and use the desktop wirelessly.

When something on-board dies the solution is a new motherboard, which costs more than an network card or USB wireless adapter.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

After my laptop's onboard ethernet fried, I purchased an adapter:  ethernet [female] to usb [male] -- that does the job that my onboard ethernet once did.  Thought I would mention those thingies still exist.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

After my laptop's onboard ethernet fried, I purchased an adapter:  ethernet [female] to usb [male] -- that does the job that my onboard ethernet once did.  Thought I would mention those thingies still exist.

That would work as an alternative. I did not know they made those. I always bought the card (either Ethernet or wireless), opened the case and installed it myself.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

That would work as an alternative. I did not know they made those. I always bought the card (either Ethernet or wireless), opened the case and installed it myself.

Your way is a much better way!  However, I did not desire to open my laptop  :)

#9 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

RIGHT click on Realtek PCIe.  Choose UNINSTALL.

I have tried that strategy. Again, it made no difference. It is a frustrating problem and I have read posts in forums which describe the same problem. It seems to be more common with Windows 7 computers, which is what mine is. My main reason for wanting to sort it out is that an ethernet cable is sometimes needed to set up a new router and I am thinking of buying one.

#10 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for that. It does sound like a possible solution. I have never used such an adapter (I haven't even seen one).  I only need the ethernet cable for it for a short period and the adapter you refer to could do the trick.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

To see what it looks like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=usb%20to%20ethernet%20adapter&Submit=ENE

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 March 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#12 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thank you. Just a final question:- would such an ethernet/usb adapter be added alongside the existing adapter? For example, if I fitted one and then looked in the Network and Sharing Center, would an ethernet/usb adapter appear there along with those which are already present?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

Under network adapters in Device Manager, I believe it does, probably under some strange name...lemmie look at school tomorrow, I'll give you the name it shows for my eithernet-to-usb adapter.

#14 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

Under network adapters in Device Manager, I believe it does, probably under some strange name...lemmie look at school tomorrow, I'll give you the name it shows for my eithernet-to-usb adapter.

Thanks for the advice and for suggesting an ethernet/usb adapter. I think it could well be a solution to my problem and I will give it a try.

#15 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

For the sake of completeness, I am reporting that I have now tried the suggestion of RolandJS and fitted an ethernet/usb adapter. It worked first time, - it is the only solution I have found.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users