Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU heats up then crashes while gaming. Reboot not posible.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Noel4You

Noel4You

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

Hey everyone. As the topic suggests I have have this issue with my five year old computer.

Last friday while playing X-com on Steam, my pc totally froze and I could do nothing but make a manual reboot (reset button). After that Windows stalls at the splash screen every time I try rebooting. Even when it goes to recovering mode it halts at the splash screen.

Now before you go telling me to make a reinstall here's what I did. I tried another HD with my old Win 7 Premium (known to work on this pc) but it stalls on the black screen with only the cursor blinking. After that I tried a clean HD (also known to work just perfect) and tried reinstalling Win XP SP3 from a genuine Microsoft Installation CD. The hardware boots like usual and the installation begins from the CD. After the first sequence of loading system files the black screen comes on with a blinking cursor. That's supposed to happen, only it stays that way - nothing more.

For the last month or so leading up to the mishap my cpu tended to heat up, especially when using 3D games and virtual chatrooms like IMVU. About three months ago I reinstalled the hardware into a smaller ATX tower. There were no issues with my old Maxi tower. However installing a 2nd chassis fan blowing directly onto the cpu heatsink/fan hasn't helped either. Taking off the ATX casing cover didn't help either.

I have reasons to believe that my cpu over heated when playing X-com on Steam. However that never was an issue before, regardless the Windows version used.

Lastly I tried booting from my Partition Wizard 7.7 CD Linux (also known to work) but still no result. It halts at after setting up Kernel saying "Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIS + timer doesn't work! ..........Any Linux guys know what that means? (Screenshot attached)

Could there be any other reason for the pc not being able to boot my software then a faulty of the cpu itself?

I hope someone can help me out here :)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noel4You

Noel4You
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hello again.

Before anyone goes waste time on this topic I better tell you all I solved the problem :)

Turns out the only thing I had to do was updating the bios to latest version. I don't know why the old bios was acting weird, but updating it fixed it :)

....so no replacing expensive hardware needed (yay)

Anyway I'll leave this topic open for others to be helpfull :)

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for letting us know!

It'll definitely save someone who comes looking for help with this sort of problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Noel4You

Noel4You
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

.....and oh by the way after the update my memory performance went from 5.5 to 7.8 on Windows Experience Index :)  ....cheap performance upgrade ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users