Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CrossFire GPUs, one PCIe?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:13 AM

Possible? I've seen a photo with 4 GPUs in a board only supporting 2 or 3 cards, but no idea if it even worked.

I basically have a gaming PC I want to give to a friend. It's 10 years old, but the graphics are enough for him to get by. I have a better PC with no GPU. I want to put the dual GPUs from the old system in the newer one, but it only has 1 PCIe slot and 2 PCI.

Can the 2 cards work if one is not in a PCIe slot at all? What if a PCI to PCIe adapter was used to attach the second card?

System 1:

Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe based Athlon 64 X2 custom PC

2x ATi Radeon HD 3870

System 2:

Dell OptiPlex 780

A possibility?

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:27 AM

Even if in theory it may be possible, PCI transfer speed is so low that Crossfire system would be slower than without Crossfire.

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

Even if in theory it may be possible, PCI transfer speed is so low that Crossfire system would be slower than without Crossfire.

Okay, so he's getting the Athlon PC then. Thanks.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

Normally you would do that for bitcoin mining, where the cards need little bandwidth, but for gaming this would be even slower.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

You cannot crossfire between pcie and PCI. With some motherboards you can crossfire the pcie video card with the onboard graphics as long as it's no more then a series newer then the onboard.

You can run multiple video cards on a board with one pcie and the rest PCI but you cannot crossfire they will all run separately.

The only way to get a performance increase running dual cards with a system like this is with Nvidia. You set the nvidia PCIe card as the primary, and put in a PCI card and set it up as a physX card. I do not know how to do this or even if you still can (you could at one point) but honestly a crossfire enabled motherboard will likely give you better performance, and they're not that expensive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Alternatively you can buy a single video card with 2 GPUs. I used to have a 3870 x2. Power hungry and ran hot but performed well. But they are also very expensive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

He can make do with the Athlon PC. I was just curious if the GPUs could be somehow equipped to the Dell.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users