Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waking up from Sleep [Kernel-Power (41)]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orrpeesai

Orrpeesai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

Hi people,

As per subject, I have tried various ways to troubleshoot and days of googling with no results, pertaining to my problem.

It recently happened to me that my laptop, whenever it goes to sleep / hibernate (once in awhile), and when I open the lid/turn back on, it will appear to start up from scratch.

Being curious, I went to check on the event log:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          07-Mar-16 8:30:23 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      JX-ASUS
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-03-07T12:30:23.594146300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2852</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>JX-ASUS</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">6</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">3221225684</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I did not have any BSOD on my Mini Dumps. I've formatted to Windows 7 and back to Windows 10, same problem occurs, therefore I do not think that the problem lies with the OS.

When I removed my Display Adapter "Intel HD Graphics Family", the sleep feature goes away. My assumption is, there might be issue with my graphic hardware that is causing this issue?

Do anybody have the knowledge of catching the log files that causes the unexpected shutdown?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

Event ID 41 is Windows' way of saying "WTF?"

It's merely a message that says Windows was shut down and Windows doesn't know why.

As it's "unexpected", we have to look at different reports to try and figure out why.

It can be hardware/temperature, it can be software (least likely), it can be you holding the power button down to turn off the system.
More info here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

To get a start, wait for the next unexpected restart, then generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

In most cases of this sort, there's a problem with the system hibernating, so rather than hibernate it will crash.
Often these are BSOD's that you won't even see - but there might be info related to that on the system.

So, here's another set of reports that we use when analyzing BSOD's: 

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

We usually look at updating the BIOS/UEFI, the chipset drivers, the storage drivers, and any of the assorted Intel drivers (MEI, RST, DPFT, etc) for starters.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Orrpeesai

Orrpeesai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hi usasma,

As requested, attached are the files for your review.

While I was doing the steps above, I've also saved the HWmonitor info for you.

Appreciate your help!

Attached Files

Edited by Orrpeesai, 09 March 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version PU301LA.206) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

These device have problems in Device Manager:

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®    USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC\6&3A32F951&0&4    This device is disabled.
Not Available    ROOT\VMBUS\0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ROOT\VID\0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
USB2.0 UVC HD Webcam    USB\VID_13D3&PID_5188&MI_00\7&9E24ED2&0&0000    This device is disabled.
Not Available    ROOT\VPCIVSP\0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
SonicWALL Virtual NIC    ROOT\SWVNIC\0000    This device is disabled.
Not Available    ROOT\STORVSP\0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available    ROOT\SYNTH3DVSP\0000    The drivers for this device are not installed.

Please enable the disabled devices, then download and install the latest, W10 compatible drivers for each.  Then, if you'd like, feel free to disable them again.

As for the other devices, they appear to be related to your VM software.  Please uninstall it.

Let us know of any other devices that remain as a problem and we'll see about fixing them also.

I wonder about your temperatures.  Please continue to monitor them.

Once we have fixed all the problems in Device Manager, then we'll run some other tests to see if that fixes things.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Orrpeesai

Orrpeesai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hi Usasma,

Please refer to the attached.

The BIOS unfortunately is the most updated version from the manufacturer's website.

Also, windows update shows my device is all update to date.

I've also enabled back all drivers from the device manager and did another scan for windows date, no new drivers to be updated.

I'm thinking if I should try to "downgrade" my bios to see if this will resolve the issue, however, i would wait for your update.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

In general there's no benefit to be had from downgrading a BIOS.
FWIW - if it is a problem with the BIOS, then the most likely "fix" is a downgrade of the OS

In the latest uploads there's no significant errors that I can see.
As such, we fall back to hardware issues (this includes compatibility and low-level drivers which behave like hardware at times).

Let's start by running Driver Verifier for 36+ hours according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Then start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users