Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange software RAID 1 - Can't Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:39 PM

Hi everyone! 

I've got an unknown scenario and I can't seem to find much online. 

We have a 2008 r2 server that was setup with a RAID 1 on an old dell t100

When I run Windows Server Backup or Max Backup against it to create a full bare metal image it basically says that it is an unsupported format. I assume it means the software RAID though both disks are NTFS. I also don't think Windows cares that they are NTFS because they are in a mirror dynamic disk pair. 

I have never seen anything like this and my questions are... 

How can I create a bare metal backup? 

Should I break the RAID so that I can start creating cloud backups?

WTF? 

lol 

Thanks!

Edited by neuronic, 07 March 2016 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

breaking the raid would be a huge mistake.  You would lose disk failover which would result in data loss.

what does the disk being raided have to do with cloud backups?  The two are not related.

Unsupported format doesn't have any thing to do with being in a raid or ntfs which is the default file system of windows.

Most likely the message relates to the target destination of the backup.  What were you pointing the backup to?

#3 neuronic

neuronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

breaking the raid would be a huge mistake.  You would lose disk failover which would result in data loss.

what does the disk being raided have to do with cloud backups?  The two are not related.

Unsupported format doesn't have any thing to do with being in a raid or ntfs which is the default file system of windows.

Most likely the message relates to the target destination of the backup.  What were you pointing the backup to?

Okay, the device is currently not being backed up. 

If I attempt to backup the software RAID 1 NTFS volume to an external USB drive formatted with NTFS I get an error saying that the volume being backed up is not compatible with Windows Server Backup. I am then unable to do anything about it as it doesn't let me finish creating my schedule. 

'If that doesn't work,' I think, "I'll do a bare metal backup to my cloud infrastructure so I am all safe before making a butt load of changes to this system I've never seen before." 

I setup IASO like I always do, that backup starts and finishes with errors stating that System state is not supported on software RAID. 

The message clearly doesn't relate to the target as they are two different targets in use as well as two different solutions reporting similar issues. 

So as you can see yes the disk being in a software RAID has something to do with the cloud backup. :)

Edited by neuronic, 08 March 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

Ok what it sounds like is the target backup is set to a different cluster size that windows back up uses. I had the same issue with a USB drive as well and all i ended up doing was reformatting with the correct size.

Windows Backup needs 512 sector sizes.

To check the cluster size run this command on both C: drive and the USB drive by just changing the drive letter

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:

Should show something like, make sure they are both formatted using 512 and also 4096.

Bytes Per Sector  :               512
Bytes Per Physical Sector :       512
Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 1024
Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 08 March 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#5 eddiek989

eddiek989

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

The command vssadmin should help you further diagnose your issue, as best practice I wouldn't rely on software RAID as a RAID provider. Consider rebuilding the RAID into an actual RAID array through a physical adapter. check imaging tools and VM converters to complete this task or if you're going to migrate the server to your cloud that would be even better and should give you a chance to rebuild the physical server if you're looking into a hybrid solution where you're utilizing the servers in the cloud and keeping an on-site server as a backup or replication. I would also recommend to update the RAID software if that's possible but before doing that do your research on hoe to do it so you won't break the RAID or loose your data.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

Can you do something as simple as a system state backup to the usb drive?

Backups have been happening both by Windows and 3rd party software on both software and hardware raided systems since NT so raid is not the issue.

When the backup fails there should be a error in the event viewer logs.  Post the error for review.

#7 neuronic

neuronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

Ok what it sounds like is the target backup is set to a different cluster size that windows back up uses. I had the same issue with a USB drive as well and all i ended up doing was reformatting with the correct size.

Windows Backup needs 512 sector sizes.

To check the cluster size run this command on both C: drive and the USB drive by just changing the drive letter

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:

Should show something like, make sure they are both formatted using 512 and also 4096.

Bytes Per Sector  :               512
Bytes Per Physical Sector :       512
Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 1024
Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0

I'll check on that when I get back to the office. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users