Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Or Corrupt: \winnt\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

I have already researched this error and have found that the SYSTEM registry hive is damaged. I've inserted the Win2000 CD and performed the F6 to load the SCSI drivers. I've then selelcted R to repair the Win2000 installation. On the next screen I've selelcted C for the Recovery Console and I've selected the Windows installation that needs repair.

I'm then prompted for the Administrator password and this is where I get stuck. Our Administrator password, as far as I can remember is blank. Yet when I simply hit <ENTER>, I'm told that the password is invalid. I've tried all "known" passwords used on this system and all of them are invalid.

Is there any utility that will allow me to discover what the Administrator password is? Even if I can not discover this password on this down server, the password will be the same on other servers at my facility. Can I uncover the Administrator password on any of our working servers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

You should be able to log-on with any account that has admin privileges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users